MX4800 first week review

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I have had this MX4800 one week now, have put 14.6 hours on it. I thought this was a good tractor, but I was wrong. It is a GREAT tractor! I was originally looking at an L3901, then an L4701, but my wife (whom I got this tractor for her birthday) said “bigger is better” so we ended up with the MX4800.

It has plenty of power, a big bucket, pulls the 8’ box blade without a problem, the grapple is one of the most useful tools I have happened on. The 6 foot Rotary Cutter churns through brush. I have not used the BH92 back hoe as yet (built a dolly for it this morning as it was raining and too wet to work).

If you are looking for a mid range tractor, this MX series is amazing.

Michael

Attachments

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
169 hours on my MX5200. Will be using it this weekend to plant some food plots for deer. Cant wait to get on it. Looking forward to 200hr fluid change.

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
Nice photo's of the "grapple work". I just got my MX5800, FEL, 6' LP 2572 discs, & Spreader. I did Not get - but could use - grapple/rock bucket! I have fields to till/plant (7-8 Acres total) and they've got lots of rocks - some 3' x 4' and must weigh a ton. I have "hooks" welded onto bucket and can wrap chain around some then lift/haul away...but it seems like a laborious process and I have 100s of rocks to remove...that Grapple looks like the way to go!
So far, I'm just learning how to use the tractor overall and the FEL. Got some good practice spreading one truck load (16 cu yrds) of "rubble" over one of my roads -- took a few hours and a Box Blade would've been handy.
Also, I got the AG tires and see you have the Industrial - how's your traction in mud?

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
ADK,
I find I back up with the grapple open and the top sticking in the dirt and I can rake up rocks and limbs, works pretty good. Picking single small items up with it is a learning experience as you can't see it and most times you need to curl the grapple under it. But I am getting the hang of it. Just scoop them up and dump them over the fence.

The R4 tires are fine except in clay mud, once they load up the lugs with mud it is like you have no tread. Soft mud seems to clear pretty well.

I got a 7 foot box blade with it as well and it is a very useful tool. with the rippers down it digs the rocks right out and I can get them with the grapple. It weighs 750 lbs and is also a good counter balance for the FEL. Only thing I wish I had a rear remote for the top link as changing the angle on it makes it very versatile.

Enjoy,

M

lefty422

Feb 3, 2018
Clayton,Wa,USA
hey captmikem, I'm looking to getting a new Kubota this year! I Have wooded hilly property in NE Wa that needs a lot of clean up! Do you do a lot of work in the woods with your tractor, if so is it to big to maneuver around, or feel unstable at all? Also how do you like the land pride grapple? I was planning on putting one on whatever tractor I ended up with.

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Congrats. I have had my MX5800 for 1 1/2 yr. have found it capable, comfortable, and reliable.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
hey captmikem, I'm looking to getting a new Kubota this year! I Have wooded hilly property in NE Wa that needs a lot of clean up! Do you do a lot of work in the woods with your tractor, if so is it to big to maneuver around, or feel unstable at all? Also how do you like the land pride grapple? I was planning on putting one on whatever tractor I ended up with.
Lefty, I do not have any problems in the woods, the MX has an incredible turning radius. only problems I have is you get used to using the grapple to pick up logs instead of skidding them and some of the longer ones are hard to maneuver between trees. I have no problem on hilly surface as long as the FEL is low. it is a great tractor in the woods.

I can't say enough good about the land prod grapple. it does much more than I thought it would. rakes rocks and limbs, is great for tending fires, and will carry anything.

M

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Reviving this post from the dead. I also have a 2018 MX4800, now a little over a year old, around 160 hours, great machine. I have the Ag tires, loaded, and they provide excellent traction. Use this machine for flail mowing heavy-sloped fields, perfectly stable. Use it for general loader work, have quick attach forks for it, and also for pushing snow. No issues, other than the hitch pin on the seat mounting rod came out and the seat will eventually collapse unless you keep pushing it over. Need to get a new pin installed.

Smooth power steering and very smooth HST. Loader has good lifting height and weight capacity. DPF regens have been seamless.