MX 5800 lugnut bolts loose and wallowed out wheels

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I used my tractor a lot for plowing this past winter, and apparently I didn't notice the front right wheel that gets a lot of snow packet in it and rides right next to the right edge of the road with drifts had lugnuts that came loose. I had a couple lugnuts come completely off, and the rest were very loose. I had driven like this so much, that some of the lugnut holes in the wheels became wallowed out.

I bought new lugnuts and tightened everything down, but I've noticed they don't stay tight very long, and then when I turn sharp, you can almost feel the wheel give a little as it slides on the wallowed out holes against the lugnut studs.

Aside from getting a new wheel, is there anything I can do to fix this? Maybe a washer and/or lock washer?

I'm normally so good at maintenance, but this one escaped me with the snow packed inside the wheel constantly

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Suggest you read this thread from one week ago.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42800&highlight=pyrolysis

The nut and wheel interface is a critical aspect of the design of securing the wheel. When the wheel is allowed to run loose, the tapered faces on the rim and nut are altered and will not stay secure.

Replacing the wheel, nuts and studs is the only route to a safe wheel for the future.

Dave

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Suggest you read this thread from one week ago.

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42800&highlight=pyrolysis

The nut and wheel interface is a critical aspect of the design of securing the wheel. When the wheel is allowed to run loose, the tapered faces on the rim and nut are altered and will not stay secure.

Replacing the wheel, nuts and studs is the only route to a safe wheel for the future.

Dave
I'm not seeing any cracks at all. This is also the front wheel, not the rear, so maybe that's part of it. I'm just seeing that some of the wheel holes are larger than they should be.

I'll need to check to see which direction I have the new lugnuts facing. Could be that I need to reverse them to get them to bite

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You need to remove a good front wheel to see how it should look.

The hole in the wheel will have a tapered face which matches to the tapered face on the nuts. The meshing of these two tapers is the critical part of the design.

A wheel does not need to be cracked to be no good.

Dave

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
You need to remove a good front wheel to see how it should look.

The hole in the wheel will have a tapered face which matches to the tapered face on the nuts. The meshing of these two tapers is the critical part of the design.

A wheel does not need to be cracked to be no good.

Dave
The tractor us up on my other property, so I'll have to look at it later, but I bet you I should have installed the nuts with the rounded part facing toward the holes on the wheel, but reversed it by accident