MX 5200 stalling out

dandya

Equipment
MX5200 HST
Jun 1, 2021
Oklahoma
I recently ran the tractor low on fuel and it shut off while at a downward angle. Now I can't run the tractor at high RPM for more than a few minutes or it shuts down. Water separator was dirty, cleaned it out good and replaced the fuel filter. Drained the fuel tank, fuel was clean, refilled with new diesel and still same problem. I noticed the water separator is getting air in it and not staying full all the time but now even when it is full it will stall out. Not sure what to try next, any advice?

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
My L2501 went through that same situation not long ago. Ran the fuel tank to less than a quarter tank. Then sratered to stall out. I unscrewed the water separator and let the diesel run out. I had black gunk come through the line. This was all done on the first heavy work out from sitting through the winter.. Told a buddy and he mentioned algae build up in tue diesel.

dandya

Equipment
MX5200 HST
Jun 1, 2021
Oklahoma
Try bleeding the fuel system up to and including getting good fuel to the top of the injectors.
I've bled the fuel system about 10 times, seems like it's better but then it just does the same thing again...

I will try the other idea's, how do you clean the screen in the fuel tank?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I've bled the fuel system about 10 times, seems like it's better but then it just does the same thing again...

I will try the other idea's, how do you clean the screen in the fuel tank?
There is no screen in the tank, only in the water separator. I have found a few that the screen its self was restricting the fuel and keeping the air in the bowl. You can leave the screen out to check it. Do not keep running the tractor without the screen any longer than to see if the air disappears. It should clear in several seconds with just the electric pump running.
If you are getting air in the water separator, there is a clog between the tank outlet and the separator or a vacuum leak between the fuel tank outlet and the separator outlet, or the vent in the fuel cap is plugged. The vent can be checked by just leaving the cap loose or removing it and laying a rag over the opening.

The electric fuel lift pump sucks fuel from the tank and through the separator so it has to be sealed tight.

Check the separator bowl for cracks, check the o-ring that seals the bowl and check to see that the fittings are tight in the separator head.

Remove the hose from the inlet side of the separator, remove the fuel fill cap and blow air through the hose into the tank. Reinstall the cap and hose, then run the tractor to see if that corrected the air in the bowel problem. If it did, you have debris in the tank that was plugging the outlet or plugged the hose. The tank would then need to be cleaned

Reactions: 1 users

dandya

Equipment
MX5200 HST
Jun 1, 2021
Oklahoma
There is no screen in the tank, only in the water separator. I have found a few that the screen its self was restricting the fuel and keeping the air in the bowl. You can leave the screen out to check it. Do not keep running the tractor without the screen any longer than to see if the air disappears. It should clear in several seconds with just the electric pump running.
If you are getting air in the water separator, there is a clog between the tank outlet and the separator or a vacuum leak between the fuel tank outlet and the separator outlet, or the vent in the fuel cap is plugged. The vent can be checked by just leaving the cap loose or removing it and laying a rag over the opening.

The electric fuel lift pump sucks fuel from the tank and through the separator so it has to be sealed tight.

Check the separator bowl for cracks, check the o-ring that seals the bowl and check to see that the fittings are tight in the separator head.

Remove the hose from the inlet side of the separator, remove the fuel fill cap and blow air through the hose into the tank. Reinstall the cap and hose, then run the tractor to see if that corrected the air in the bowel problem. If it did, you have debris in the tank that was plugging the outlet or plugged the hose. The tank would then need to be cleaned
Thank you very much, I am leaving town for a few days, when I get back I will try these things. I put a new screen in the water separator so I know it's clear. I've been wondering about the cap on the water separator itself because they had it on so tight from the factory that I literally had to take a screw driver and hammer to it just to get it off. I didn't notice any cracks in it but wondered if the O ring could be bad since they had it so tight. Thanks again for the replies guys and when I get back I will let you know what I find.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Like white tiger said,

I have commonly found the entry turn of the water separator to be the clogged spot.

Reactions: 1 user

dandya

Equipment
MX5200 HST
Jun 1, 2021
Oklahoma
Well, my meeting got cancelled so I decided to work on the tractor after getting your input. You guys are awesome, she's back running again!!

Started with pulling the line from the tank to the Separator and no clog there, fuel shot out. Pulled the Separator bowl off and turned the fuel on and just got a trickle of fuel. Tried shooting air through but not really enough room to do so effectively so I pulled the Separator off and could see something in the fuel port (elbow as Tiger and Freak said) going in from the tank. Used a small pick and started digging and started getting pieces of black stuff out, as it kept coming out I realized it was a small beetle that had gotten stuck in the port. Got it cleaned out and put back together, bled the fuel system, and she seems to be running perfectly again. I really appreciate everyone's input, without it I would have probably given up and taken it to the dealer.

Thanks Again!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users