MX 5200 4WD, front axle fluid change

RayBob

Equipment
MX5200
Sep 3, 2018
Warren, Texas
2015 machine. Changed front axle fluid yesterday and supposed to take 8.9 US qts. I bought 9.

I drained both hubs after removing the fill plug on top of the ale casing for about 5 minutes each. It drained about 8 qts out. I put the lower hub plugs back in and started filling until it ran out of the fluid level plug. It only took 6 qts. before the overflow started draining. I put the plugs back and drove it 30' back and forth and rechecked and it still was dripping out of the overflow plug. I replaced and drove it back to the barn.

Honestly I'm kinda scratching my head here. Any ideas or previous experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Give it more time and exercise, the oil in the front axle usually takes a while to distribute and get rid of the air pockets. Check the level frequently to see if the oil level has dropped.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
2015 machine. Changed front axle fluid yesterday and supposed to take 8.9 US qts. I bought 9.

I drained both hubs after removing the fill plug on top of the ale casing for about 5 minutes each. It drained about 8 qts out. I put the lower hub plugs back in and started filling until it ran out of the fluid level plug. It only took 6 qts. before the overflow started draining. I put the plugs back and drove it 30' back and forth and rechecked and it still was dripping out of the overflow plug. I replaced and drove it back to the barn.

Honestly I'm kinda scratching my head here. Any ideas or previous experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
It will take a LONG time for all the air to work it's way out of the hubs. Some models have vent plugs on the top to let the air out.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m surprised you got 8 qts out. Most front axles have been found underserviced.
They really don’t require much since they’re only gearboxes and in-use the oil is brought up to each gear and bearing and top bearings are usually greased separately anyway on most axles…. it’s the gears that need the oil and they get plenty if only the lower units have oil. I would be more concerned with OVER-servicing because I believe it’s a closed system and temperature can pressurize the axle and contribute to leaks. (On my own M4700DT the WSM and OM both specify 8.5 qts but I put in only 8 for that reason. Less than 3 drained out before I serviced it.)