Must haves for L4701

Edwardo

Oct 9, 2021
Auburn, AL
I'm about to pull the trigger on an L4701 HST and I want to make sure I order everything on it that I need. I own 400+ acres of mostly timberland in SE Alabama and will use it primarily for disking, cutting, and maintaining roads and firebreaks and food plots. I plan to purchase a front-end loader, 6' disk, 6' box blade, and either 5' or 6' cutter. I will definitely get 3rd function hydraulics for the loader. What do I need to make sure to add to the package? I don't think I will ever have a need for rear hydraulic remotes. What are your thoughts on fluids for rear tires; we have always used water in the past. I will probably buy Land Pride implements. Any thoughts on Kubota insurance? Thanks in advance. I will probably have further questions as I get more into it.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Might as well go all the way and get the rear remotes. Will come in real handy when maintaining roads with the box blade.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
given what you say you will find a good grapple priceless.... if your budget allows sounds like a logging winch (I use a FX85) would also be very useful.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
400 ac is a whole bunch of land. Be a long, long ride to the other side. Is a cab out of the question?

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I suggest rear remotes (at least 2), hydraulic top link and a quick hitch. The hydraulic top link has been a game changer for me. I second the motion for a grapple too

Reactions: 2 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Don't forget the pallet forks. You'll need them to unload the new implements from the freight truck.

Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you must have a L4701, get the right side handle for the fender. Also, get a quick hitch assuming you have quick hitch compatible implements. Also order your other implements like your grapple now. It can take a while.

But, I’m with others, strongly consider an MX and even a cab. Cabs are good for heat/cold, but also for dust/insects.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Here I southern MS the difference in price between an L4701 and an MX5400 was like $1500. Big difference in tractor for not much money. Worth a serious look.
Get a grapple. Just do it. 400 acres with timber, just do it.
My only regret when I bought my tractor was NOT getting the rear remotes. I will add them in the spring. After you box blade for 5 min you will no why rear remotes and top-n-tilt is so popular.
KTAC insurance is really nice peace of mind. Yes some home owner riders will cover your tractor. Most only on your land. Secondly they have a lot of exclusions. KTAC doesn’t. You go down the road hauling your tractor and it falls off the trailer, $250 and here’s your new tractor. Messick’s has a good YouTube video on it. I’ve got it and recommend it.
Good luck with your new tractor. You will love it no matter which one you choose.

Reactions: 2 users

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
Here I southern MS the difference in price between an L4701 and an MX5400 was like $1500. Big difference in tractor for not much money. Worth a serious look.
My only regret when I bought my tractor was NOT getting the rear remotes. I will add them in the spring. After you box blade for 5 min you will no why rear remotes and top-n-tilt is so popular.
KTAC insurance is really nice peace of mind. Yes some home owner riders will cover your tractor. Most only on your land. Secondly they have a lot of exclusions. KTAC doesn’t. You go down the road hauling your tractor and it falls off the trailer, $250 and here’s your new tractor. Messick’s has a good YouTube video on it. I’ve got it and recommend it.
Good luck with your new tractor. You will love it no matter which one you choose.
I'm also a fan of the MX series tractors. There's a huge difference between the L 3010 my dad has and my MX. It a workhorse!!

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I just purchased a 4701. In my area the mx was hard to find just do to inventory snd the one I did find was around 3k more which was a red line for me. The other issue for me with the mx was the weight. I have a 7000lb trailer and my land is an hour away. I trailer a lot. With the loader, weighted tires, multiple implements at a time and sometimes pallet loads of supplies the extra 700 lbs (mx weight plus 1065 loader weight) would have put me into territory where is was nervous about hauling. I may have tried it if any one of those factors wasn’t in play. Mainly I didn’t want to wait for one dealer and didn’t want to pay the extra. So Far I’m really happy with it. I think you will be.

Anyhow I would definitely weight the tires. I do a lot of food plotting and a tiller would be a must for me. I used to disc but the tiller saves a ton of time. I also get great use out of my spreader. You mentioned a bushog and that would be my other must have along with pallet Forks. Both for Loading pallets of supplies as well as strapping implements to load them on the trailer. I use the bucket now but the forks will be better eventually

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I just purchased a 4701. In my area the mx was hard to find just do to inventory snd the one I did find was around 3k more which was a red line for me. The other issue for me with the mx was the weight. I have a 7000lb trailer and my land is an hour away. I trailer a lot. With the loader, weighted tires, multiple implements at a time and sometimes pallet loads of supplies the extra 700 lbs (mx weight plus 1065 loader weight) would have put me into territory where is was nervous about hauling. I may have tried it if any one of those factors wasn’t in play. Mainly I didn’t want to wait for one dealer and didn’t want to pay the extra. So Far I’m really happy with it. I think you will be.

Anyhow I would definitely weight the tires. I do a lot of food plotting and a tiller would be a must for me. I used to disc but the tiller saves a ton of time. I also get great use out of my spreader. You mentioned a bushog and that would be my other must have along with pallet Forks. Both for Loading pallets of supplies as well as strapping implements to load them on the trailer. I use the bucket now but the forks will be better eventually
Be careful with the weight even with the 4701. You put a loader on it and I think you are pushing 4,800 lbs. remember the trailer weight is included with the 7k. On mine that gives me about 5,200 lbs hauling weight. You put a 4,800 lbs on it and then load the tires you are about the max. That does not include any implements. I totally agree that an MX pushes a 7k trailer over the limit. When I was looking that was a deal breaker for me as well. Did not want to buy another trailer on top of the tractor cost.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Be careful with the weight even with the 4701. You put a loader on it and I think you are pushing 4,800 lbs. remember the trailer weight is included with the 7k. On mine that gives me about 5,200 lbs hauling weight. You put a 4,800 lbs on it and then load the tires you are about the max. That does not include any implements. I totally agree that an MX pushes a 7k trailer over the limit. When I was looking that was a deal breaker for me as well. Did not want to buy another trailer on top of the tractor cost.
Definitely get pallet forks the most versatile implement to have !!! I have same tractor been great machine.

Edwardo

Oct 9, 2021
Auburn, AL
Well at only $3000 more for an MX5400 ($35/month), I went with the MX. The dealer had a 4701 and a 5400. I will pick up tractor, 10,000 pound trailer, 6’ disc, and 6’ box blade next week. I’ll go back to get the fel and a cutter whenever they come in. He said it might be a while before the fel comes in. I’ve got plenty of box blade and discing work I can do.

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Congrats! You are going to love it!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am shopping the same two tractors. Every quote I have shows a $5000 difference between these models.