Mulching

Citro-nut

Equipment
B4200 Tractor, KH31 excavator
May 30, 2021
France
A bit of a daft question maybe, but what's the difference between topping, cutting and mulching? Which does my 36" rotary mower do?
Thanks.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Rotary mowers don't cut grass, it tears it, the longer you keep the grass within the confines of the mower deck (discharge cover), along with specifically designed blades, the more it chops it, thereby becoming mulch. Reel mowers actually cut grass. The topping you're referring to is the addition of a sand and amendment mix to your lawn. I believe that using good sharp blades with high lift, at speed, to mow dry grass on a regular basis works best. Certain grasses require only a certain amount to be cut to promote a good healthy lawn. Bagging, dethatching, aeration, fertilizers, etc. are things pending you desired look. I can't speak for everybody but I'm happy to keep Mother nature at bay during rainy weather in the summer, I believe I can hear my grass growing.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
A bit of a daft question maybe, but what's the difference between topping, cutting and mulching? Which does my 36" rotary mower do?
Thanks.
Topping mowers are rough cut mowers designed for high cutting the tops off of heavy growth in areas like pasture. They are a variant on a bush hog.

Finish mowers are designed to cut closer to the ground and produce a smoother and even finish on turf grasses in areas like lawns and golf course fairways/roughs.

Mulching mowers are generally finish mowers with decks and blades designed to chop the clippings before discharging them. This process reduces or eliminates the need for raking clippings in areas where the clippings are undesirable. The chopped clippings also act as a mulch for the turf but can result in an undesirable build-up of thatch that requires subsequent removal.

Your 36" rotary mower is likely a finish mower with or without mulching blades or deck.

Dan

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
Topping mowers are rough cut mowers designed for high cutting the tops off of heavy growth in areas like pasture. They are a variant on a bush hog.

Finish mowers are designed to cut closer to the ground and produce a smoother and even finish on turf grasses in areas like lawns and golf course fairways/roughs.

Mulching mowers are generally finish mowers with decks and blades designed to chop the clippings before discharging them. This process reduces or eliminates the need for raking clippings in areas where the clippings are undesirable. The chopped clippings also act as a mulch for the turf but can result in an undesirable build-up of thatch that requires subsequent removal.

Your 36" rotary mower is likely a finish mower with or without mulching blades or deck.

Dan
Hi Dan, thank you for that info, very useful. Are mulching blades a replacement for the cutting blades or fitted in addition?

Citro-nut

Equipment
May 30, 2021
France
Rotary mowers don't cut grass, it tears it, the longer you keep the grass within the confines of the mower deck (discharge cover), along with specifically designed blades, the more it chops it, thereby becoming mulch. Reel mowers actually cut grass. The topping you're referring to is the addition of a sand and amendment mix to your lawn. I believe that using good sharp blades with high lift, at speed, to mow dry grass on a regular basis works best. Certain grasses require only a certain amount to be cut to promote a good healthy lawn. Bagging, dethatching, aeration, fertilizers, etc. are things pending you desired look. I can't speak for everybody but I'm happy to keep Mother nature at bay during rainy weather in the summer, I believe I can hear my grass growing.
Hi, thanks for that useful info, I too can hear the grass pushing through, on the upside, if it didn't we wouldn't have a reason (excuse) to get out there in the tractor :LOL:

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
This picture shows difference between regular and mulching blade.
Most newer mower decks have them. Most have a strap on plug available to block the deck outlet and force mulching.

Attachments