Mower Deck - Won't Go To Top

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
BX2360 with 60" deck. Won't go high enough to rotate height gauge to top, and past it. I can rotate through all the heights, but when I get to 4", it won't go into top so I can go to lower heights.

It seems deck won't go high enough. I've taken deck off and put back on. There does not seem to be anything blocking the arms from lifting it higher. If I physically lift the deck I can then turn it. By that i mean, i go as high as it will go, the knob wont turn into top. I get off the tractor, lift it up, and as I'm doing that i can rotate knob. So it is able to go high enough. It lowers and lifts fine otherwise.

With the deck off it rotates beautifully.

I have had this tractor for 11 years. I've had this issue on / off several times. Not sure why it has resolved before, but it does. This time it does not seem to be.

Suggestions appreciated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
There’s an adjustment nut just inside left rear wheel. On my cell phone so I don’t have access to links for manual.

Not sure if it’s in the tractor operator manual or the manual for the mower.

Reactions: 1 users

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
There’s an adjustment nut just inside left rear wheel. On my cell phone so I don’t have access to links for manual.

Not sure if it’s in the tractor operator manual or the manual for the mower.
When I was under it, towards the driver's side but right by the knob shaft I saw a cable. It went into a 90 degree elbow. There was a nut on both sides of the elbow. I was wondering if that was related. Does that sound right, and if so, do you know which nut might be the one to adjust? The one on the horizontal or vertical part?

Either way, thank you for this info. Gives me a starting point.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
When I was under it, towards the driver's side but right by the knob shaft I saw a cable. It went into a 90 degree elbow. There was a nut on both sides of the elbow. I was wondering if that was related. Does that sound right, and if so, do you know which nut might be the one to adjust? The one on the horizontal or vertical part?

Either way, thank you for this info. Gives me a starting point.
You're in the wrong place. There is no cable associated with adjusting the lift on the mower. Take a look at this and see the instructions below the pic.
1696951886933.png

Reactions: 1 users

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Are you trying to lift your mower while at idle speed ? If so, get your engine rpm up to 2500, and try lifting the mower. Lift until you hear the bypass kick in, and then try and turn the knob.

Reactions: 1 user

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
imnukensc - Thanks for posting the diagram. I appreciate it. Also, that cable I was referring to was with the deck off. It's right next to the height adjustment knob and shaft. I still don't know what it's for, but it's unrelated to this.

Orangeglow - I turn the RPMs up high. Historically, I've had to keep them high and keep pulling up on the lever to get the knob to turn to top.

I stopped by a dealer and spoke to a service guy. He suggested this may be related to the front links / attachment. That it may be too tight to allow it to go all the way up. He mentioned a couple points to measure that need a particular distance. Unfortunately, there were none of the old non-drive over decks available to show me these two points and I'm not sure exactly which two he was referring to. I plan to check the manual to see, and do some adjusting.

Part of why he thought it may be related to the front attachment is that everything goes high enough with the deck off, and he has seen this before,

Thanks for the responses.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
*** RESOLVED ***

Wanted to post an update.

Quick version - Seems to have been the bolt pictured below. Maybe considered the side link bolt. Rereading RCW's post, this is what he was referring to. I was picturing something under the tractor.

The service guy yesterday had suggested this, but given that the height knob turned fine without the deck on, we leaned towards the front link / attachment.

After pretending i knew what I was doing, looking at the manual, adjusting the front, throwing everything off and then trying to correct it, I tried the knob and it still wouldn't go into top.

I then brought in the bolt a bit, and it worked. I backed it out so it's about 1/4 turn in just enough for the knob to turn.

Thanks for all the responses. This is the best the knob has turned in the 11+ years I've had it. It's always stuck a bit at the top.

20231011_113106.jpg