Mower Deck - Tightening Blade Issue

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
BX2360. 60" deck. Took blades off to sharpen. Putting them back on, no issues with side ones. Middle one, when I block blade to tighten, the associated spindle shaft spins before proper torque. So, that spins and I can't tighten. This is with the wrench, not gun.

Belt seems appropriate tightness. Belt tightener seems to be working.

Is the Belt too loose? Something else?

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Everything is back together correctly. The entire shaft / spindle / pulley spins on the belt. Hopefully that makes sense as it's kinda hard to describe.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Maybe the washers are on wrong or the blade isn’t on quite right. This guy replaces the middle blade at around 9 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks Jimh406. I'll plan to take it apart and double check. I think everything was put back right. I'm not sure what why this would cause the spindle to spin on the belt, but you're the second person to suggest it, so worth a double check.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have that problem on a different mower. I clamp the belt to prevent the pulley from slipping.
Remember, most nuts and bolts get a wrench on both hexes. If you manage to tighten the nut by simply blocking the blade - you're getting off easy.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
I took it apart, put it back together, tightened it and it tightened to appropriate torque without issue.

It looked like it was all originally put together correctly, however as I was taking it apart it all fell. So can't be sure.

Not sure what happened, or why it's resolved.

Thanks for the suggestions.