Moving Small Tree

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Hello... I live on an acerage in whats called the Sandilands forest. I have a L3301 (backhoe, snowblower, loader, log splitter, mower, grapple, etc...) We have had a lot of mature trees die from pine beetles. Land is very sandy testing out at over 90% sand down to 4 meters (no tiny stones or rocks so easy digging with backhoe) and we are covered in pine trees. Looking for the right tool (to save my back) to move small 1 meter high pine trees.

Anyone with experience or recommendations what would be a good tool for the job for use on the L3301?

thanks in advance

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Depends on your definition of move - replant, the the tree spades that tree farms use. Remove then a tree puller - damages trunk, can't replant.
20170826_131841.jpg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hello... I live on an acerage in whats called the Sandilands forest. I have a L3301 (backhoe, snowblower, loader, log splitter, mower, grapple, etc...) We have had a lot of mature trees die from pine beetles. Land is very sandy testing out at over 90% sand down to 4 meters (no tiny stones or rocks so easy digging with backhoe) and we are covered in pine trees. Looking for the right tool (to save my back) to move small 1 meter high pine trees.

Anyone with experience or recommendations what would be a good tool for the job for use on the L3301?

thanks in advance
I don't understand the question, are you seeking permission to move those little trees with your backhoe? Or maybe the log splitter?

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I don't understand the question, are you seeking permission to move those little trees with your backhoe? Or maybe the log splitter?
neither.... just stating some background on the tools I use regularly and am experienced with. Looking for a right solution recommendation from others. Cheers.

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Depends on your definition of move - replant, the the tree spades that tree farms use. Remove then a tree puller - damages trunk, can't replant. View attachment 49536
thanks... want them to live.... otherwise backhoe would dig them up and kill them very easily..... Cheers

I think for sure tree spade is way I would go if I had a track steer type machine. But I have a L3301 Kubota. Looking for advice / experience from people with my type of tractor on how they transplant small trees..... Cheers

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
thanks... want them to live.... otherwise backhoe would dig them up and kill them very easily..... Cheers

I think for sure tree spade is way I would go if I had a track steer type machine. But I have a L3301 Kubota. Looking for advice / experience from people with my type of tractor on how they transplant small trees..... Cheers
Tree spade

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Pine trees have shallow roots and grow like weeds. A 1m tall pine has a very small root ball. You could probably pull them by hand in early spring when the ground is still soft and soupy, or at least use a good 4 tine garden fork to loosen the soil up a bit first.

Try using the tools you have, transplant a few, see what works best for you. If you have a trenching bucket with teeth you could push lift these small trees out of the soil easily.

If you transplant them now you will have a lower survival rate than doing it in early spring. Evergreens are best transplanted in spring.

If you are planning to dig thousands of small trees get a root lifter attachment.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm. Looking for the right tool (to save my back) to move small 1 meter high pine trees.

so very small trees, small root ball..

have a custom 1' wide bucket made for your loader,assuming SSQA, EASY to attach. As your soil is sandy, bucket /scoop could be made of reg. steel ..

digging them out is easy... scoop and drop, drive ahead...it's the pickup/transporting them that takes a lot of time,so 1 person digs them out,drop onto ground, 2 people use another tractor and trailer to get them.

I'd be tempted to use a potato digger. With right timing on controls, you would never have to stop..drop,scoop,lift,next.....it's be fast and efficient,especially for dozens or hundreds of trees.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
search for a "front hoe" or trenching bucket. Something like this if you have SSQA on your loader... For your small trees, it should be fine.

stump bucket2.JPG

stump bucket.JPG

Last edited: