Mounting and using action cams on our Kubotas.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I purchased a cheap action cam to mount on my tractors. The camera I purchased is an SJCAM M20 that has electronic or digital stabilization which from the attached video is pretty worthless. Wondering if any you guys are running action cameras and what type of budget hardware works well for you . I have no plans on building a YouTube type channel, just for my own enjoyment.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I purchased a cheap action cam to mount on my tractors. The camera I purchased is an SJCAM M20 that has electronic or digital stabilization which from the attached video is pretty worthless. Wondering if any you guys are running action cameras and what type of budget hardware works well for you . I have no plans on building a YouTube type channel, just for my own enjoyment.

Trying to figure out why one would want/need an action cam on their tractor...

...although when I tipped my tractor on its side ten years or more ago, it would have been nice to have a video to "enjoy" later...

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
It wasn't so bad once you were moving..

I've used GoPro on 4 wheelers and a Huey Chopper with excellent results!
You just never know what you might catch on video if it's running!

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Trying to figure out why one would want/need an action cam on their tractor...

...although when I tipped my tractor on its side ten years or more ago, it would have been nice to have a video to "enjoy" later...

Henro,
I am sorry about your limited imagination :);). While not the point of the post I do have a specific reason for wanting to mount a action cam on my tractors.

For some reason this post reminds me of the joke "if you live in the prairies you can watch your dog run away for days"
mikester,

I have a sarcastic sense of humor (gets me trouble at times) and maybe thats why I do not get the connection of your joke to the post. The joke on its own is pretty funny! :)
My question was asked in all seriouness. I have a need to take "decent quality" video from my tractors and being a tractor forum thought perhaps others might have a good solution that worked for them without breaking the bank.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd suggest trying some sort of magnet mount in combination with a ram ball mount.

To me tractors are slow which seems to be a contradiction to the "action camera" idea ;-) Time lapse video would be more watchable IMHO.

I was recently looking on amazon for a back up camera to mount on my loader for running a tree spade. There was an "action camera" listed for $70 that claimed to stream video to your phone which sounded appealing. I'd use a magnet to mount on the tree spade. I walked away from it after seeing a lot of negative reviews on connectivity issues for the video streams.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I'd suggest trying some sort of magnet mount in combination with a ram ball mount.

To me tractors are slow which seems to be a contradiction to the "action camera" idea ;-) Time lapse video would be more watchable IMHO.

I was recently looking on amazon for a back up camera to mount on my loader for running a tree spade. There was an "action camera" listed for $70 that claimed to stream video to your phone which sounded appealing. I'd use a magnet to mount on the tree spade. I walked away from it after seeing a lot of negative reviews on connectivity issues for the video streams.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Ram ball mounts. I was not aware of Ram and they certainly seem to have a mount for just about any mounting scenario.

I get the connection now :). A bit like the tortoise about to give a ride on his back to a snail, telling him to "here we go, HANG ON! "