Mounting a K-48 mower on a B6100D

gmcgixxer

Dec 9, 2014
WNY
Hi all,
I have been searching the web, to include this forum for several days and have come up empty handed. I have also exhausted the Kubota website, to no avail.

I have a 1978 B6100D and a k-48 belly mower. It is the type that runs off of the front PTO via an electric clutch.

I have no idea how to hang the frame, how to install the clutch, and how to hang the mower off of the frame. Can anyone provide some detailed instruction on this, please?

Thank you.
gmcgixxer

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
eBay usually has the K48 deck manual for sale on there. Here is a parts diagram from Kubotabooks.com that may be of some help. It's relatively easy if you lay the parts out, they can only be mounted in certain spots....it's too difficult to explain ever step, it's easier if you have a manual in hand. My suggestion is to start from the rear and work your way up to the front mounting the lifting mechanics. I found leaving the deck connected to the supports that mount to the differential mounting bracket is easier to slide the deck in place with one rear wheel removed.
http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Mowers, Catchers /&file=B48.pdf

The clutch is the easiest thing to mount. It bolts to the front and the shaft just slides into the front crankshaft spline. Connect the wire to a toggle switch to operate it, mine was just 1 wire. Remember to cross the drive belt from the clutch to the deck, otherwise the blades will spin in reverse.

All in all, it's a pain in the ass to install and remove the deck to install my front blade and subframe, so I never take the blade off and the deck just sits in my garage. If the tractor is just going to be a lawn mower, that's fine and it cuts nicely!

Last edited:

gmcgixxer

Dec 9, 2014
WNY
OldeEnglish,
THanks for the reply. I did as you suggested - laid all the parts out and started from the back and worked my way forward. It was very simple. Using my ATV jack made it very easy.

The mower deck went on without any issues - again, it was very intuitive once I pushed it under the frame of the tractor.

Unfortunately I think the electric clutch is shot. I had everything hooked up and ready to rock. I flipped the switch to turn on the clutch and all I got was a horrible grinding sound. Im going to pick up a new e-clutch right now.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I'm happy to hear you got it hooked up, I knew you could figure it out ;). The great thing about it is that it will hardly use any fuel compared to a gas powered rider. Let us know what you find for an electric clutch and where you got it for future reference.

jacksprat

Apr 9, 2016
Hendersonville, TN
Were you able to find an electric clutch? Mine is shot and I can't find a replacement. Even had a dealer contact Kubota in Japan, no luck.

Kubota B6100e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

496blazer

Feb 19, 2016
San Martin
The clutch is the easiest thing to mount. It bolts to the front and the shaft just slides into the front crankshaft spline. Connect the wire to a toggle switch to operate it, mine was just 1 wire. Remember to cross the drive belt from the clutch to the deck, otherwise the blades will spin in reverse.
I am bumping this thread back up to see if anyone can chime in on the proper belt routing for this type of mower. I have a 1978 B7100D with the front driven mid mount mower set up and my belt is not crossed. Nowhere in the instruction book for the mower that came with my tractor does it mention crossing the belt and mine mows really good so I guess its fine.