MORE buying advice needed: Toro REELMASTER 5400D

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I looked at another machine yesterday.

My son needs an engine to run his big press brake.

One of my clients has a derelict Toro REELMASTER 5400-D that he wants to get rid of. It has a Kubota D-1105TE engine in it. I couldn't find any numbers on it, but I wasn't digging very hard. The drive system is hydrostatic and the five reel mower units are hydraulically driven. Has a large hydraulic oil cooler in front of the very large radiator. The hydraulic oil cooler is served by 3/4" lines. The hydraulic fluid reservoir holds 8.5 gallons. Has a BIG air cleaner assembly on it. I think the "E" in the engine model number indicates that it's a Tier 4 engine. From what I have found, the Tier 4 D-1105s make just as much power, or more, than the earlier ones, with less smoke. And that factory turbo set up makes me drool...

The engine looks like it has never been touched, and it has been running recently. No evidence of any fluid leaks, anywhere in the engine bay. Just dry dust everywhere. It's been outside much of its life, and as a consequence, the electronics (gauges, wiring) up by the operator's station are toast. The mower support system looks pretty beat up too, but that's all going to be scrapped anyway, unless anyone needs some good-quality hydraulically driven mower reels. [I'm going to suggest to my son that he convert the press brake to accept a hydraulic motor!]

Heck, we could delete the mower setup and have a self-propelled hydraulic power unit! Could do all KINDS of deformation/destruction with that!

The seller thinks his dad paid about $3000 for it in a package deal. I think we'll offer $1000, cash and carry, and see what happens.

Whaddaya think?

-Paul

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Just the engine would be worth that $1000. Part out any useable parts. Good working reels and motors bring good money. As Toro wants a small mint for new.

We have a Groundmaster 3500D with sidewinder option at work, a bit smaller than yours and with rotary cutter decks instead of the reels. Absolute beast. That 1105T is a solid engine.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Just some follow-up. The press brake already has a hydraulic pump on it, run by a 25hp (!!!) electric motor.
Son does not want to spring for the service changes that would be needed to run that motor, and I think it's burned up anyway.

Gotta do some more research on the hydraulic pump capacity on the Toro and see how it compares to the pump that's on the press brake. I found out that the pump on the Toro is a Sundstrand 40-series, the smallest one: "25". Don't have any specs handy yet, but I was impressed with the knowledge that the Toro has an 8.5-gallon hydraulic fluid reservoir! Kinda goes with the 3/4" inch lines to suggest that the hydraulic pump has some decent capacity.

I floated the idea of re-building the Toro as a self-propelled hydraulic mule. Put some quick couplers on it, and you could move it to any machine that's hydraulically driven! Son wants to just pull the Kubota engine, but building a frame and finding a permanent space for everything will be a challenge. He doesn't have any space to spare in his 6000 SF shop!

Seller said his father paid about $3000 for the machine when he bought it, used (when?). It's useless as a mower in its current state. But, his farm mechanic had it running...I noticed that the negative battery cable is missing, probably robbed for some other repair... Also found out from the Operator's Manual that the hour-meter is located under the seat. I didn't think to look there when I looked at it on Wednesday...
Again, it looks untouched under the hood. Just covered with dust. Which is a good thing, because the dust would reveal any fluid leaks. Saw no evidence of leaks, other than the normal seepage around the valve cover gaskets.

-Paul

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Informed seller yesterday that we would NOT be buying this machine.

Son got a call from the scrap man, who is selling him SEVEN surplus Cummins BT-4s and BT-6s - all turbocharged. Ka-ching! Don't need a powerplant anymore!

The one piece of info I needed from the Toro was the hours on it. Couldn't find the hour-meter last time, but I found it yesterday. 2637 hours showing. Not too bad...

So, if anyone needs a running D-1105-TE, PM me, and I"ll put you in touch with the seller.
Located near Quarryville, in SE Pennsylvania.

It's a Tier II emissions motor - sticker says it's in compliance through the 2006 model year.
I think it's rated at 31.5 hp. Drives a hydrostatic pump (brand?) and a Sundstrand hydraulic pump, so I don't know if the crank is splined to take a typical Kubota transmission. Or, whether it would function in a tractor...

-Paul