Mole Purge

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I'll help them get brain damage. 12ga standing by.
1000015965.jpg
1000015960.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If that doesn’t work, you could try the ol’ Carl Spackler approach.

Personally, I’m partial to a GSD, but in this case I think Dachshund would be tough to beat.

Goonga galoonga.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have used these very effectively against armadillos. With armadillos, try to locate the front and back door of the burrow. Then put one Gasser down each end during mid-day, and quickly plug the hole with a crumpled plastic bag. Check back the next day. If the plastic bags are still in place, you probably have a kill.

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I just had the 100Lb bottle of Propane filled (Evil Grin) 🤣

I've been at war with them since we moved into the place 25 years ago. Traps, I got traps. I manage to get one now and then.

Our friends have a Jack-Russel Terrier. He GETS THEM. That dang dog, he'll dig a hole to China, and make a mound of dirt the size of an Above-Ground Drainfield. He'd probably camp out in waiting....LOL.

The old-fashion Gutter Nails come to use when I made a Mole Spike. That got them. The problem was standing out there in the dark with a flashlight, freezing, in wait.
1000015966.jpg

Then I made a 16 penny-12ga shotgun trap. They met their match....they were Mole Burger. The problem was worrying about our dogs getting hurt, so that one is no longer used. I also made a trap that used Hilti Nail Gun blanks. That worked, but that one you needed to practice fine-line forensics and a "no-scent" approach. It was effective, but again...the dogs were too curious.

A 12ga works from a good distance, and effective. There again...the waiting for the mound to move gets minautinous.

I've even stuffed Road Flares down holes. The moles break out the Hot Dogs...and probably a beverage.

Last edited:

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Get a thermal scope on a 22 or 410 shotgun. Have used the poison pellets with good success in the past.

Scottly

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Jan 24, 2017
Southern Indiana
Get a couple Yard Dog traps from Rural King. They have scissors on each end. I got 18 moles last year.
Very easy to set with your foot. They do not miss either.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Also, you should use a Grub-X type product to kill the grubs that the moles feed on (it will also drive earthworms away). Using Grub-X each spring virtually eliminated mole activity in my yard.

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Also, you should use a Grub-X type product to kill the grubs that the moles feed on (it will also drive earthworms away). Using Grub-X each spring virtually eliminated mole activity in my yard.
Great piece of info.

This is the key to ending Mole activity in my grass, as we have always had a bad Crane Fly problem. Our property is also one of the best places I've picked Night Crawlers in.

Reactions: 1 users

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Wire Tek 1001 EasySet Mole Eliminator Trap (2 Pack) | Made in The USA!! https://a.co/d/fZMstqT

These work great, kind of expensive, but made in the USA.
Dogs work too, but do more damage to the lawn than the moles.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Wire tek works good. I own one and have caught several moles. Gassing them out never worked for me.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Coexistence is better than methods which eliminate soil life including earth worms.
I don't disagree.

Although when you can't walk across the ground around the perimeter of your home without almost twisting an ankle, falling down due to the Vietnam tunnels under foot, something has to change.

When I purchased my BX23S, plans were to also get a Rototiller. I was going to turn and level every sq.ft. and start from scratch. That's a LOT of effort considering on all four sides it is open forest. It would be a short amount of time before the Moles were at it again. TBH, I'm out of patience and tired of dealing with the damage the Moles have caused.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I don't disagree.

Although when you can't walk across the ground around the perimeter of your home without almost twisting an ankle, falling down due to the Vietnam tunnels under foot, something has to change.

When I purchased my BX23S, plans were to also get a Rototiller. I was going to turn and level every sq.ft. and start from scratch. That's a LOT of effort considering on all four sides it is open forest. It would be a short amount of time before the Moles were at it again. TBH, I'm out of patience and tired of dealing with the damage the Moles have caused.
I'm no expert on moles but we have moles in Texas and I've never seen a concentration any where near dense as what you just described. Are they as thick across several hundred acres or only in your yard? What about other yards? If your yard is the only place so many are found that is a clue. If they are as bad 5 miles in any direction I'd have to ask if their natural predators have been eradicated.