Modified dump bed

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
I have an RTV x900 with a hydraulic dump bed. I'm thinking about running the hoses to the dump cylinder to a diverter valve and then back to a dump wagon. The dump wagon uses a bigger cylinder, so the question is, what is the "safe" capacity of the dump circuit? What is the pressure in that circuit?

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I've had a massive amount in the bed of mine and it has not struggled one bit, so I would think it has the capacity to dump more. How much bigger is that cylinder. You could always do what you plan, and try it a few times with lighter loads. I'm not sure if the dump circuit has a bypass or overload thing like on a tractor.

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
How much it can dump or what the pressure is isn't the concern. I want to use a 2x8 cylinder on a wagon that I tow behind it. I can't get to the RTV at the moment, but it looks like the cylinder I want to use is 2.5x larger than the one on the RTV. I want to be sure there's enough fluid in the reservoir that the pump is not drawing air into it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The lift capacity requirement might not be that great. I was worried about a manual dumper on my XG850 but it's surprisingly well balanced for dumping heavy loads and I have no trouble unloading. Have you tried a manual dump yet?

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
Not yet. I'd have to disconnect the dump cylinder to do so, it'll be a little while before I get to it. The wagon I plan to tow is a 3'x6' bed and hinged at the back. I can lift that when it's empty, but takes most of my ability. I'm in my 70's so I'm looking for things to make it possible to continue working on my ranch.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Countrylife,

Using the larger cylinder won't hurt anything, it will just have more lifting capacity because of the larger bore. The system should have a pressure relief valve in the circuit to protect over loading the system.

The only thing you will notice is the lager bore cylinder will not move as fast, but it will move more.

Cheers
Samantha

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
After you get it hooked up, make sure your hydraulic reservoir is full, then cycle the ram a couple times a bleed the circuit. Then check your fluid level again. Once you have the lines and cylinder full of fluid you will have plenty to keep the reservoir full.