Modified air intake, air filter stays cleaner..

descanso1

Equipment
b7800, rtv
Dec 23, 2013
descanso, ca(southern Ca.)
Just finished modifying the air intake on my kubota B7800, moved the air intake up out of most of the dust and added a pre-cleaner. The pre-cleaner removes a lot of the dust and keeps water from entering the intake. I maintained the original air filter and greatly reduced the amount of dust getting to it. The factory intake draws the air from just in front of the radiator which is a very dusty area with the radiator fan drawing in the dust. Now with the air being drawn in above the hood and the pre-filter there is far less dust getting to the air filter.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
Nice job!

Can it now run in 4 ft. of water? :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wait ??? your in Ca they aint got 4.2 feet of water in the whole state,,,lol,, A very nice job you must be one of them off road kind of guys

descanso1

Equipment
b7800, rtv
Dec 23, 2013
What and where is the pre filter? Under the orange hat? What is the filter made from?
The pre-filter is the orange cap, it draws air in from the bottom over directional fins causing a cyclonic action (sorry about that Dyson) then has 2 vents near the top to let the dust out, it takes some of the dust out, also having the intake up where it is, there is less dust than where the factory had it originally, thus less dust gets to the air filter. The pre- filter has no moving parts and never need to be cleaned or serviced. Old fashioned idea that does work. Look at the antique tractors they had them, do not know why manufacturers discontinued them..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Where the pipe fits to the air cleaner is that just a snug fit?
I would have thought you could have gotten a better seal using a piece of rubber hose to couple them there.

descanso1

Equipment
b7800, rtv
Dec 23, 2013
Where the pipe fits to the air cleaner is that just a snug fit?
I would have thought you could have gotten a better seal using a piece of rubber hose to couple them there.
The pipe is an extremely tight fit onto the filter housing, even if it wasn't a little air leak would be before the air filter. The pipe I used actually had to be forced onto the plastic nipple on the air filter housing.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
The pre-filter is the orange cap, it draws air in from the bottom over directional fins causing a cyclonic action (sorry about that Dyson) then has 2 vents near the top to let the dust out, it takes some of the dust out, also having the intake up where it is, there is less dust than where the factory had it originally, thus less dust gets to the air filter. The pre- filter has no moving parts and never need to be cleaned or serviced. Old fashioned idea that does work. Look at the antique tractors they had them, do not know why manufacturers discontinued them..
Where did you get it?