MMM hight control

mrcj

Equipment
BX2670
Jul 22, 2023
Kentucky
I noticed that the mower deck won't hold the height I set it at. If I set it on 3.5 after bouncing around the deck will fall and the dial will be at 2.5 and mowing to low.
Looked underneath and I see the step cam that the lift rod contacts and it's real loose and wobbly,the whole dial control is.. I see what looks like a retainer pin that contacts the top of the step cam.
Can that retainer be bent to come in to more contact with the teeth that's on the step cam?
The dial seems to easy to turn and loose and I'm thinking that's why the mower won't stay at the height, the cam assembly is moving around.

CaptPat

Equipment
B7800, Grasshopper 930D
Jul 30, 2023
NC
It would be helpful if you identified the MMM and tractor with the issue. I have an RCK60-27B MMM and the height is set and maintained by the gage wheels, it can't physically go lower than what the wheels are set to. On mine, the lifting rods are loose/jiggly when the mower is fully down.

mrcj

Equipment
BX2670
Jul 22, 2023
Kentucky
It would be helpful if you identified the MMM and tractor with the issue. I have an RCK60-27B MMM and the height is set and maintained by the gage wheels, it can't physically go lower than what the wheels are set to. On mine, the lifting rods are loose/jiggly when the mower is fully down.
It's a rck60b23bx. The gauge wheels are fixed .

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Your deck sounds like a ground contact deck where the gauge wheels actually ride on the Earth surface and follow the contour of the land. My BX 2200 deck is a suspended deck, like I think the OP’s deck is probably. Different animal.

The gauge wheels on a suspended deck only hit the ground sometimes and don’t ride it all the time.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It's a rck60b23bx. The gauge wheels are fixed .
i’m surprised to hear that.

My my BX deck wheels are adjustable and optimally set according to the height adjustment knob selected position. This gives them some clearance when the tractor is sitting on a flat surface, but they still function when the ground is wavy.

mrcj

Equipment
BX2670
Jul 22, 2023
Kentucky
i’m surprised to hear that.

My my BX deck wheels are adjustable and optimally set according to the height adjustment knob selected position. This gives them some clearance when the tractor is sitting on a flat surface, but they still function when the ground is wavy.
.... I should have said that the gauge wheels don't swivel. They only have up and down adjustment.

mrcj

Equipment
BX2670
Jul 22, 2023
Kentucky
My suspicion was right. Looking at the parts diagram,it's easy to miss the retainer bracket. Working on the tractor,most don't notice that's it there. I didn't the first time looking at it. The retainer bracket is what comes in contact with the gears on top of the step cam. If its out of adjustment,it won't hold the deck.
With the step cam off, you can see the retainer bracket. Bend it it a little, it's pretty stiff. The cam is tapered and only fits on the dial rod one way.
When done, with the lift all the way up and the dial should only turn one way and you will more resistance.
Folks are getting the notion that the step cam holds the deck. It don't, the gearing on top of the cam and retainer bracket does.

RPulley

Equipment
2020 BX23S
Dec 31, 2020
Watkinsville, Ga.
With this deck, can you step on it withou changing the adjustment? My wife is short and has a hard time getting on and off of the tractor with the deck on.

mrcj

Equipment
BX2670
Jul 22, 2023
Kentucky
With this deck, can you step on it withou changing the adjustment? My wife is short and has a hard time getting on and off of the tractor with the deck on.
If its a 60 inch deck with the self balanced adjuster and the gauge wheels are half a inch from the ground, yes.
If its a 54 inch deck,I would be cautious.