MMM Blade Sharpening

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello everyone, I am about to remove my mowing deck for the first time to clean it and sharpen the blades. I am looking for suggestions on what/how to best sharpen the blades without having to remove them from the deck. I was going to use an "old school" drill powered grinding wheel. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks !

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello everyone, I am about to remove my mowing deck for the first time to clean it and sharpen the blades. I am looking for suggestions on what/how to best sharpen the blades without having to remove them from the deck. I was going to use an "old school" drill powered grinding wheel. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks !
My tool of choice is a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on it.

Dan

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I remove them and actually did this yesterday on my 60" ford mmm. Not sure about the kubota's but the concept is the same. I find this allows me to get the angles & balance right.

However I must admit, I never even considered doing them while on... I learn something all the time here on OTT and will tuck this away - even just for a mid-season touch up etc.:cool:

My property is full of rocks that migrate up over time and is h#ii on my deck & blades. Also, had to break out the welder again - ugh

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’d really really recommend you remove them.

I do mine on a bench grinder.

If you don’t remove them, you have no way to know if they’re properly balanced.

If you run blades improperly balanced, you run the risk of damaging bearings in the mower’s drive. Likely a very expensive fix.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I’d really really recommend you remove them.

I do mine on a bench grinder.

If you don’t remove them, you have no way to know if they’re properly balanced.

If you run blades improperly balanced, you run the risk of damaging bearings in the mower’s drive. Likely a very expensive fix.

Just a suggestion.
Agreed.

Really, really, really recommend removing the blades from the spindles.

Easily done and allows proper sharpening by file, flap wheel, disc, etc.

Reactions: 2 users