MIG Welder Mentoring

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I know there are at least a couple of guys here that are up on the current offerings. My old unit seems to be about ready for burial. It has lost all consistency, runs like the invisible man has his hand on the amperage dial. Up, down, then flat on its' face. Leads and all internal connections are in good shape and tight. It's around 25 years old, 220V, 235 amps @ 65% duty. I would like to replace this unit with a new one of similar capacity. Any Miller or Lincoln recommendations? Would like to keep it under $1,500. Really only need the MIG process, have other machines for stick and TIG. Thanks for any suggestions.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I am now running a Miller 211, and love it. Not only has it been problem free and a very nice welder, but Miller runs a lot of specials- when I bought it, I got a $200 rebate AND a free spool gun- bringing the actual welder down to less than $900, delivered.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I needed a new welder about 2 yrs ago and ended up buyin a thermal arc mig/stick unit and really like it. Very capable mig on 120 or 220. For the price you might want to check into it, it's labeled as Tweeco now.

http://www.bakersgas.com/THEW1004201.html

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'll suggest to check your wiring connections from the breaker box up to the welding plug. Sounds like a classic case of a loose wire somewhere along the circuit.

Not that I'm against you getting a new welding machine. Just saying...

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I'll suggest to check your wiring connections from the breaker box up to the welding plug. Sounds like a classic case of a loose wire somewhere along the circuit.

Not that I'm against you getting a new welding machine. Just saying...
That depends if he convinced his wife he needs a new one and she said ok!:D

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Thanks you all for the suggestions.

Now, Yooper & bxray..... :D
Sure, a new MIG would be nice. Not spending the money would be even nicer! The current welder is on its' own dedicated circuit (50a, #8 wire) that I put in myself about 15 years ago. I will check panel, breaker and outlet connections before proceeding just to be sure. My stick welder shares the same outlet though and it is behaving as it always has.

My employer has a wholesale account with Airgas so if a replacement is in order, I will be placing it through them. Pricing, for us, is slightly less than cyber pricing. Not much margin in these things at our level. I will also enquire if they have any smoking deals on demo units. Our regional warehouse primarily stocks Lincoln and Miller so that is what I have been trying to research.

Thanks again!

Saxman

Equipment
L3830 ZD21
Jun 19, 2010
Mt. Vernon, IL
Check out the Lincoln MP210. It's a multiprocess machine (MIG, TIG , and stick ) can run on 110-220 volts and it's got a rebate on at this time. I bought one last year and really like it. This machine only weighs 40 lbs so it's easy to take it where you need it

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
Lincoln IdealArc 250

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
We have that same machine on the floor, here at work. It is in the running. I do wish it would take a bigger spool of wire but, I sure do like the portability it offers and it spec's out nicely.

I have checked my power supply from service entrance to outlet. It all checks out. Currently, I am in 'reflection' mode. Trying to make sure I have not missed something simple in the machine itself.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm with saxman and the Lincoln 210MP. Got mine a year ago, and just recently got 240v to it. For smaller stuff, was happy with it on 110; haven't used 240 yet. It's an inverter, so draws less juice than some other models. Mine has the adapter for the bigger spool.

I really thought I would end up with the Miller, but at the time they had a great deal on the Lincoln. I think either Red or Blue will serve you well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
We have that same machine on the floor, here at work. It is in the running. I do wish it would take a bigger spool of wire but, I sure do like the portability it offers and it spec's out nicely.

I have checked my power supply from service entrance to outlet. It all checks out. Currently, I am in 'reflection' mode. Trying to make sure I have not missed something simple in the machine itself.
Your way of thinking is right on. What I would do is pull the covers off the machine and look for signs of something getting hot. It could be something as simple as a slighty loose connection or even a bad ground clamp. Best to give it a good visual anyway.

Favorite welder in our shop is a Miller 200 bought brand new in 1988. Hard to kill these older machines.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I just got my Lincoln 180 up and running. Love the way it welds. I just do small stuff but it really warms up the metal to a bright cherry red on low!

Only used it with flux shield. Want to swap over to gas for some nicer welds. Cannot argue with the welds using flux shield though. Lots of slag and spatter but it wipes off with a brush.

I just hung a security door on my barn and needed to tack on 1/4" rod to get the door jamb lined up properly. Man, it did a great job. WHOO-HOO!

Now to get a nice used plasma cutter...

Ray