Mid mount mower experience

Forge

Equipment
B7800, Woods LS84 FEL, MMM RC72
Dec 16, 2012
Pottstown
Thought I'd share my recent experience of adding a MMM to my B7800. As a new Kubota owner I knew I'd be learning on the fly. So I find a used RCA 72 in Florida for $900. Looks in great condition but no lift mechanism. So I'm thinking the lift arms can't be that expensive......

Buy the mower (congratulating myself of a great deal) and then head to my dealer for the lift mechanism. Leave him the parts list. He looks at me like I'm nuts. It's only when he rings me back a day later that I realize why - $2K for the mechanism! The drive shaft is the most expensive piece - $500. I only needed the female half - but that was $475! Who says women aren't more expensive! (Still a new complete deck is $4k so I'm not too bummed).

The deck arrives next day and I'm beside myself with excitement. Put everything on - then realize I can't adjust the mowing height because the wheel spindles are jammed solid.

A 15lb sledge hammer, half a gallon of liquid wrench and 3 days later they are sliding effortlessly. Of course, I forgot about the groove at the bottom of these shafts that hold a retaining clip that keeps the wheels on...So I have to regrind and get the shafts back to the right diameter so they can go back on the deck.

Anyway was it all worth it for a MMM? Absolutely. This set up mows like a dream and the MMM is much better around trees than an RFM. And the wife prefers a MMM - who says women aren't more expensive!

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi Forge,

I have 54” MMM on my Bx2360 and I am very happy with it now, after I made complete covers for the V belt. I did have to forever clean it from accumulated grass clippings and rubbish that damage the belt. Now it is absolutely clean I go through the high stuff in no time. I have sent email to Kubota with photos and ask why they don’t make similar covers, even as an extra option. No answer so far, maybe busy celebrating early Christmas all ready. Anyway I wish you luck with your Kubota and MMM and Merry Christmas to all of you.

Regards Frank.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Frank,
Would you post pictures of your v-belt covers? It's probably a fix that lots of us can use.

Thanks.

PMH

RD Gray

Equipment
BX2200 LA211 Loader 5' rear blade Woods PHD ph35
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
I bought a used 54" MMM for my BX2200 but haven't really used it yet. I did put it on to make sure everything worked. The wife uses the zero turn but this will give us a second alternative.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I deleted the number 2 at the end of the given web address and it worked for me.

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi Paulemar,
thanks for solving problem with the photos, I have been terribly busy now before Christmas and that was one of my shortcomings. Today we have hot day 37°C and I have to cut grass around house about 4 acres. Kubota runs perfect, did not overheat and I was interested how is the temperature of additional mower deck covers I have made as they restrict air circulation to some extent. To my surprise they were reasonable warm and no debris in V belt compartment. First time I have cut grass on sloppy side going up, with 4 wheels engaged and only one part was slipping because of uneven ground. And getting on and off with extra steps on the deck is a big help too.

Regards Frank.