Messicks Video (Compact tractors very strong demand, few used on the market

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
That was a three minute and THIRTY SECOND Thursday. That being said, very cool video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Of course he's looking to sell tractors, but part of his analysis is sometimes you're better of with new vs. a used one under certain circumstances (0% financing, implement promotions, warranty, etc).

Seen that suggestion here many times to folks "shopping", and many times the person ended up with a new one.

Last edited:

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
That is what happened in my case, very low used inventory and if you did find a decent one it was almost as expensive as a new one. Plus a used one will likely not have the configuration/implements you want and by the time you get the right implements you are into it for quite a bit anyway. Kubota marketing seems to always have incentives that mitigate the pain a bit. I live in a low population area so thought it was a regional thing but it sounds like good used tractors are hard to come by most everywhere.

Bevan175

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSDC
Aug 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
That is what happened in my case, very low used inventory and if you did find a decent one it was almost as expensive as a new one. Plus a used one will likely not have the configuration/implements you want and by the time you get the right implements you are into it for quite a bit anyway. Kubota marketing seems to always have incentives that mitigate the pain a bit. I live in a low population area so thought it was a regional thing but it sounds like good used tractors are hard to come by most everywhere.
I had the same. Only found one OK deal on a 2650HSDC but I would have had to swap tire and buy the MMM and in the end would have been a wash. So new it was. Got it exactly the way I wanted.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I've watched a few of Messicks videos through OTT links, the one's I've seen including this one, appear to be very well thought out, aren't pushy, are factual and leave the decision to you. Good job by Messicks (on the one's I've seen at least).

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Plenty of used tractors in central Illinois, but they're not cheap. I saved several thousand buy buying used, but it looks like it was taken care of. If I were a young man I may have bought a new tractor, just because of the extra warrentee. Hard to pass up o percent financing on a new machine, if ya can afford the payments.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
I'm actually having that internal debate now. I see that 0% and think, if I buy the tractor new I will end up owning it my entire life. I can take the money I would have paid cash for a used and invest it, or save some cash overall and buy used. I just don't know how much these dealers take off the "build" price that I see when I build one on the Kubota site

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I'm actually having that internal debate now. I see that 0% and think, if I buy the tractor new I will end up owning it my entire life. I can take the money I would have paid cash for a used and invest it, or save some cash overall and buy used. I just don't know how much these dealers take off the "build" price that I see when I build one on the Kubota site
I think the general rule of thumb (depending on area) is about 10 to 15% off that price, or you get some freebie things thrown in. At least that is what I have seen reading and researching.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
I think the general rule of thumb (depending on area) is about 10 to 15% off that price, or you get some freebie things thrown in. At least that is what I have seen reading and researching.
You were pretty much dead on with this, decided to get a quote from Messicks because I'm at work and email access is easy, they pretty much came in at 14% under the build cost.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Another thing that swayed my decision to go used, is I like the older hitch better. I also picked up a used BX5450 snowblower and a used, but unused front blade and hitch for about 1/2 the price of new. The blower came off of a B tractor and I sold the hitch to another member on here. Looks like to me the newer implements stick out further in the front than the older ones. And they are out there plenty far already. I had originally planned on using the snow blower and blade off of my Legacy but found the Kubota shaft turns CCW, so that was out. Still may mount the blade from the legacy as it is much heavier built and is 60" compared to 54" for the Kubota.