Message from Messicks

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Here is a interesting take on things by Neil Messick.
He doesn't paint a grim picture, but then it also doesn't give much hope for things getting back to normal either.
He sort of wraps the many things affecting supplies into package of his experiences for our review and consideration.

Reactions: 1 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Nothing is going back to the way it was, thanks to the pandemic.

The only things that should return to somewhat normal levels are things that are unrealistically inflated in price like lumber was. It’ll go down a lot; but it’s not going to go back to 2015-2019 levels.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Nothing is going back to the way it was, thanks to the pandemic.

The only things that should return to somewhat normal levels are things that are unrealistically inflated in price like lumber was. It’ll go down a lot; but it’s not going to go back to 2015-2019 levels.
I agree. But the pandemic just happened to be the trigger. We've been loading the economic gun for a long time.
Just-in-time became not-in-time. Companies trimmed out excess capacity to become more efficient/profitable. Unrealistic interest rates have created abnormal demand.

Reactions: 3 users

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I agree. But the pandemic just happened to be the trigger. We've been loading the economic gun for a long time.
Just-in-time became not-in-time. Companies trimmed out excess capacity to become more efficient/profitable. Unrealistic interest rates have created abnormal demand.
Completely agree. I don’t mean to place the blame solely on the pandemic as I too think the problem is multifaceted and extremely complex (even though politicians would like you to think it’s just one thing the other side is doing 🙄)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That's the key right there. We tried to make it so efficient that we lost site of inventory security. Everyone wants to increase inventory turns to the point where it can't withstand any type of disruption. All businesses want to "resell" something to a consumer in 2 years, not 10 years so we get garbage from them. I still have my grandmother's Case scissors, her pots/pans, her bottle opener, and a bunch of other utensils. They are over 60 years old. I can't tell you how many "modern" utensils I have thrown out because they dull and can't be sharpened, or a plastic piece breaks off, or the cheap metal just breaks in two.

This is what happens when a bunch of "business" administrators get ahold of everything. Profits over service.

Now I am NOT saying Messicks is doing this directly....just stating in general. I do tend to think tractor dealers are probably one of the best in the US, because they know we still have tens of thousands of old machines in use and they need to keep parts around. However I am sure they still have some room for improvement.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
In Europe and other countries, it's common to have low supply, high prices, and long waits to get stuff. It is a win situation for both sellers (produce less and sell for more) and buyers (their stuff holds value better). I think this is going to become more common in the USA going forward now that companies got established on this trend. Ridiculous and very un-American IMO. Some of these COVID changes aren't going away for a long time, if ever.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
I was just speaking to a friend last week who is a sales manager at a dealership. He told me the new paradigm is that they will cut stocking inventory by 50% based the past year and set an expectation for salespeople to have at least that much in ordered sales, which saves them a lot money (interest, tax, insurance...)...

I am still a person who likes to touch stuff and will have a hard time ordering sight unseen.