MAX Watts For Add-On LED Light Bars For Subcompact Kubota Tractors ( BX2380 ) Etc.

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Hello everybody ! Hope you all have a great Friday ! :)

Just wondering what is the maximum Wattage of those LED light bars many install on their ROPS should be...
I've seen a few videos on YouTube but many of them don't mention the Watts. How is that calculated ? etc... I remember seeing a post where one of our members did a calculation of Watts, Amps etc... but I can't remember where I saw that... anyway just wondering what is recommended without putting any stress on your electrical system. Thanks ! :giggle:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The answer to your question lies in how you plan to feed the add lighting and the generating capacity of your alternator or generator. Calculating watts is pretty simple, it's basically volts times amps. You know the voltage is twelve so you can even divide watts by twelve to get amps. Or not. Many LED lights list the output in watts but don't consume that much power. You almost need to put an ammeter on the light to find the actual draw. My 240 watt light bar should take twenty amps at twelve volts. It actually draws five amps so it really uses only sixty watts. As far as a fuse, I like to take the anticipated current and double it so my five amp light bar is on a ten amp fuse. Your wires should be sized to handle the load. Larger current requirements will require larger wires to reduce voltage drop and heating.

Reactions: 1 users

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
Make sure you put the correct fuse in, I once had an unfused wire in a cab short out and it filled the cab with smoke in about 1/2 second!

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
20200905_180723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Start with the big known which is the alternator output of 14 to 15 amps.

forum BX2380 alt.jpg

Amps multiplied by volts gives you watts.

15 amps x 12 volts equals 180 watts.

The literature for LED lighting is misleading as a consistent standard is not being used.

Roadworthy's example demonstrates this: My 240 watt light bar should take twenty amps at twelve volts. It actually draws five amps so it really uses only sixty watts.

Another BX owner adding additional lights wisely installed a low cost LED voltmeter that turned on when the lights turned on.

Voltage sensor.jpg

Now he could see how well his alternator was standing up to the additional electrical load.

Remember that the alternator output spec is at max engine rpm's. It will decrease at lower rpm's.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Thank you all for all that info, and those math calculations ! very happy to see that !
I will be referring to this thread on the forum in future !