Mask for leaf shredding?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
A little late this year, but we're finally on the cusp of leaf season. I typically shred/mulch with my MMM, and this year I'll be vacuuming up the results with a Cyclone Rake. I've used surgical type masks in the past, and wonder if there's anything better that's not too cumbersome, too expensive, and that ideally won't make me look like an alien. Any convenient alternatives to the simple paper nose/mouth masks?

A quick search online shows me the RZ masks and a bunch of similar designs. These look like the kind of thing I'm after, if they live up to their claims.

Last edited:

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I keep about a half dozen of these around for myself and wife. Use them for a variety of tasks. Good quality, reasonably priced, replaceable filters. Even fits under screen faceshield when using string trimmer.

3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator Assembly 6391/07003(AAD), P100 Respiratory Protection, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NDN29O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.yIZBbC6XVEZH

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
A little late this year, but we're finally on the cusp of leaf season. I typically shred/mulch with my MMM, and this year I'll be vacuuming up the results with a Cyclone Rake. I've used surgical type masks in the past, and wonder if there's anything better that's not too cumbersome, too expensive, and that ideally won't make me look like an alien. Any convenient alternatives to the simple paper nose/mouth masks?

A quick search online shows me the RZ masks and a bunch of similar designs. These look like the kind of thing I'm after, if they live up to their claims.
I have the RZ neoprene, like it a lot. Very comfortable to wear, filters well. You can find them on sale for around $15 if you look on-line, and you're not picky about color.

Speedster6185

Equipment
BX2230 w/FEL & MMM
Oct 5, 2018
Southeastern CT
I 2nd the RZ Mask. Have 2 of them and like them a lot. Use them for ATV / Trail Bike riding in the hot / dusty summers, residential demolition, concrete saw cutting, everything. They have promo codes all the time if you join their mailing list (BOGO, 30% off, etc).
I have the R2 mask and the high flow active carbon filters.
Enjoy!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I ended up coming across one of the 25% off coupons for RZ, so ordered their R2 mesh mask which arrived yesterday. Feels pretty comfortable/breathable just trying it on. Will put it to the test with the leaf vac and the shredder once things dry up a bit here.

Thanks for all the input!

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I use the Miller P100 that I use with my welder. Low profile and comfortable. Plus I already had one!

BTW - congrats on your Cyclone Rake! I've had mine for over a decade. currently trying to make it work with my BX2660.

Do you have a pic of how yours attaches to the 3 point on your BX?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
BTW - congrats on your Cyclone Rake! I've had mine for over a decade. currently trying to make it work with my BX2660.

Do you have a pic of how yours attaches to the 3 point on your BX?
Thread derailment here, but since it's my thread I don't mind a bit: At first I was using an Omni Combo hitch which has holes pre-drilled at the right spacing for the Cyclone Rake, though I needed to use bushings to make the holes smaller.

That worked, but the hitch goes up and down with the mower deck, which was awkward in my situation where I'm raising the deck frequently. It also resulted in tearing up the bushings I was using.

So I've switched to the Cyclone Rake hitch that slides into a 2" receiver hitch, and I now have the BXpanded Quick-On hitch to connect it to, also using a Hi-Low hitch to get the height right.

Good thing I like spending money on tractor accessories! I'll try to remember to snap a pic when I've next got it hooked up.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Thanks! I just drilled out a draw bar I had. I have a quick hitch on the 3 point I don't want to remove

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Thanks! I just drilled out a draw bar I had. I have a quick hitch on the 3 point I don't want to remove
I can still keep my quick hitch on with this setup, as it all extends underneath. If you're using a lateral drawbar that bridges your lower lift points, I'd be careful about shutting off the Cyclone Rake engine before you lift the deck. Might not be an issue, but I worried about oil distribution of the angle got too high. Maybe you won't even need to lift the deck while the CR is hooked up, but I sure did.