Marbles & Bearings

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Yesterday a noise developed in my BX25. Seems to be in the hyd unit but more external than internal. It sounds like a bucket of marbles are rattling around inside the hydraulic reservoir, and the sound is more pronounced when the pump is stressed such as when one of the cylinders hits the end of travel. There doesn't seem to be any degradation of power or performance but it just sounds unusual. Machine has 92 hours on it and I performed all the scheduled maintenance as specified. I did press metal rod against the hyd housing at several locations and the rattling sound did not seem to transmit thru it to my ear which is why I think it is more external than internal. Any thoughts would surely be welcome. Thanks!

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
The level indicator on the FEL or is there something else around the hydraulic unit under the seat. It does sound a bit like something rattling around but I just couldn't find anything. Thanks.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
One of The clamps that hold down the steel hyd tubing possibly loose

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Well after going over everything without taking the fuel tank off it seems to be something inside the hydraulic pump. If I increase rpm's the rattling increases in frequency too. The rattle sounds like a ball bearing or nut hitting against the housing and just at the tail end of the rattle there is a slight squeal. I think I am gonna take it to my dealer... I'm in the middle of a big project and really don't want to have it tied up in the shop over the long weekend but I guess that's the way it goes. I'm really disappointed though!

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
BotaDriver does the linkage travel back under the seat? Although sound can be transmitted to remote places, the sound seems to be somewhere under the fuel tank and favoring the left side when seated.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
No, it's on the right side of the engine. Have you tried to listen around while revving the machine? After about 50 hrs I had developed several vibrations on my 3800. Found that whomever assembled the machine, didn't put a bolt on either of the fenders and that was making quite a racket at various RPMs.

Also discovered the throttle linkage vibrates and makes a heckuva noise, as does the FEL joystick.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Thanks for the insight BotaDriver. Tonight I dismounted the backhoe and removed a rear wheel so I could get closer to the noise. Still can't find the exact area but I am about 85% sure it is within the hyd pump housing somewhere. Getting into that is well above my pay grade and the machine is still under warranty so I will rely on my dealer, hopefully.

Holleyman

Equipment
Kubota B6001, Caterpillar 252B, AM General M813A1, Ford 8N, Komatsu PC30
Sep 25, 2013
80 acres in Athabasca AB
Loose clamps on lines can rattle with hydraulic pulsations, that would give you an "external" rattle. A pump rattle can be caused by cavitation or aeration of the pump as well. Ensure suction screens/filters are not plugged or hose/piping are not restricted or leaking air to the pump.