maintenance

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I suppose that it kind of brings up a good point.

Is there a "configuration" that you need to be in to check the fluid?

I.E. In the owners manual of a certain car (back in the day) the instructions were specific as to "Vehicle must be at normal operating temperature, in Neutral with wheels chocked before checking the trans fluid"

Or something similar to that.

Is there a configuration that a tractor needs to be in?

Huh....never thought of it till now.......

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I suppose that it kind of brings up a good point.

Is there a "configuration" that you need to be in to check the fluid?

I.E. In the owners manual of a certain car (back in the day) the instructions were specific as to "Vehicle must be at normal operating temperature, in Neutral with wheels chocked before checking the trans fluid"

Or something similar to that.

Is there a configuration that a tractor needs to be in?

Huh....never thought of it till now.......
Yup.....tractor should be parked!:D

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yup.....tractor should be parked!:D
Hahaha...yea kind of figured that.

But would/could the loader cylinders or backhoe...etc configuaration change the level on the sight glass that significantly?

For instance checking the level with the backhoe fully retracted and the loader cylinders all fully compressed.

Then the next day checking it with the backhoe extended and the loader cylinders fully extended.

In my mind, I suppose in theory that should change the level in the sight glass. ....Right?

Just a "Thought Experiment".......

grayseals734

Equipment
LX2510 tractor with front end loader. belly mower
Oct 14, 2022
Delaware
appreciate all the good suggestions. Tractor coming back tomorrow and I will get some dye and hopefully find out what is going on. Thanks for all the support.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The hydraulic fluid level should be checked when the tractor is shut down for the day because the oil level will always be higher when the engine and transmission are hot, than when the engine and transmission are cold.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
The hydraulic fluid level should be checked when the tractor is shut down for the day because the oil level will always be higher when the engine and transmission are hot, than when the engine and transmission are cold.
I understand the logic but the Operator Manual says to check before operating ("Pre-Operations Check") with the intent that you verify fluid levels before starting the engine. I would image the manufacturer took into account oil expansion when deciding where to mark the dip stick.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I would see it differently…. (surprise surprISE SURPRISE, Sgt Carter!)… because overnight the oil would be drained back down to the sump…while Hot, the oil would still be up inside the machinery.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I would see it differently…. (surprise surprISE SURPRISE, Sgt Carter!)… because overnight the oil would be drained back down to the sump…while Hot, the oil would still be up inside the machinery.
I see it even differently. Lol.
Most engine manufacturers say the oil level should be checked at operating temp (for expansion) , and the engine shut down for 10-20 minutes (for drain down). I know we are talking HST not engine here, but I would assume the same applies.
Bottom line is there is a range for either dipstick or sight glass. If it's mid range I'm OK with it either way.

Reactions: 1 users

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas

But would/could the loader cylinders or backhoe...etc configuaration change the level on the sight glass that significantly?

For instance checking the level with the backhoe fully retracted and the loader cylinders all fully compressed.

Then the next day checking it with the backhoe extended and the loader cylinders fully extended.

In my mind, I suppose in theory that should change the level in the sight glass. ....Right?

Yes, it could. There is a volume difference between a retracted and extended cylinder. The transmission oil is used to power the loader, depending on the size of the hydraulic cylinder, you could easily have a quart or two in the cylinders.

For example: a 2x20 cylinder has 125 cu in of volume and you would have 2 (one on each side) with 231 cu in in one gallon. That will be when the cylinder is extended, when retracted, that will be pushed back into the hydraulic sump and the opposite side (with the rod) will be filled. It will take less volume to do the retract because the rod takes some of the space. Depending on the rod diameter as to the difference in volume between the extend and retract positions. - and you have 4 cylinders on a loader.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

I made that point in post #3 because it does make a difference, in addition to the temperature, a point I also made in post #3.