Mahindra Shredder/Brush Hog/Rotary Mower

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Thoughts on this brand? I need to get a 4' shredder to use at my deer lease - nothing too major, mostly mowing ROW's and around camp to keep the grass and weeds down. I have an old Ford 4' that is a tank, but my buddy that actually owns it is unfortunately needing it back.

My tractor is a B2410, so 4' is pretty much the only size shredder i can run on it without fear of overworking my tractor. Guy not too far from me has a 4' Mahindra that is in good shape for a decent price available, but I don't know anything about the quality of their implements. Looks solid from the pictures, but that's about all I can say.

Thoughts, experiences, etc?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thoughts on this brand? I need to get a 4' shredder to use at my deer lease - nothing too major, mostly mowing ROW's and around camp to keep the grass and weeds down. I have an old Ford 4' that is a tank, but my buddy that actually owns it is unfortunately needing it back.

My tractor is a B2410, so 4' is pretty much the only size shredder i can run on it without fear of overworking my tractor. Guy not too far from me has a 4' Mahindra that is in good shape for a decent price available, but I don't know anything about the quality of their implements. Looks solid from the pictures, but that's about all I can say.

Thoughts, experiences, etc?
The Mahindra WSM's that I have looked at were impressive.

Only issue would be to see if you can find a dealer so if parts are ever needed such as blades or gear box you are not stuck

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
From what I've seen of Mahindra stuff, it appears to be overbuilt for it's intended purpose, IOW, folks in India don't skimp on steel parts. Now, I find their tractors not to be aesthetically pleasing, at least to me.

I would however, take a look at the knives and see how dull they are and check for play in the spindle, all easy to do when looking underneath.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The last time I checked, Mahindra rotary cutters were made in the USA by Kodiak and appeared to be very robust construction. Once upon a time, I was going to buy a Mahindra 3550 power shuttle but they got pulled from my local New Holland dealer about 2 years ago.

I took that as divine providence that I should look to Kubota for a tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Really not much to fail on a shredder anyway. Just had a beat to hell Brush Hog Rebel dropped off here at the shop to be rebuilt. Looked at the knives and the cutting edge is FLAT, ain't one but the knives aren't bent and the spindle is tight.

Looks like he was shredding old car parts with it. It's rebuildable but gonna take some serious welding and serious steel to get it back to working condition.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The last time I checked, Mahindra rotary cutters were made in the USA by Kodiak and appeared to be very robust construction. Once upon a time, I was going to buy a Mahindra 3550 power shuttle but they got pulled from my local New Holland dealer about 2 years ago.

I took that as divine providence that I should look to Kubota for a tractor.
ASC sells the full Kodiak line so parts should not be an issue at all.

Willem

Equipment
B2410, LA352 Loader, Box Blade, mower
Nov 24, 2020
Katy, Texas
ASC sells the full Kodiak line so parts should not be an issue at all.
I bought a Mahindra for my B2410 and its an extremely stout mower. It was old "new" inventory so I got a fairly good deal. All the used ones I could find were pretty much junk. My manual is labeled Kodiak so that info is correct. I was told that the PTO shaft may be a little long for the 2410, but I bought a 3Point Hitch from Harbor Freight that gave me the clearance I needed ( although I can't say for sure that it was too long to begin with). I very much like the 3 point hitch features.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only takes a few minutes to shorten a PTO shaft. hacksaw, file and sharp knife (to cut the plastic outer cover).