Made In The USA

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida

Tesla is not just a car company and has many other non-automotive companies under the Tesla brand and stock symbol.

Anyone can find anything on the internet to back their argument. Consumer Reports to me has very little credibility. They test toasters one day and EV's the next. They tend to leave out many good brands imo on most things they test.

A car company testing EV's would be much more appropriate. I wouldn't buy my tractor based on Consumer Reports. Anyway I'm not here to split hairs on Tesla. We both have our opinions.

But, while the haters continue to hate I have made a small fortune off the company and feel the best is yet to come.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I won't trust 'car companies' or tests from 'Consumer Report' like magazines unless they test under ACTUAL weather and driving conditions.CBC Marketplace had a GREAT segment on EVs a month ago, bottom line....they are NOT worth buying.NOT good for the environment, NOT economical to drive or maintain or store.
Do I think EVs have a future ? Sure , but only as in town vehicles, where the town has a mini nuke power plant. Still don't here about ANY city having successfully changed over to EVs for City owned vehicles, no battery powered busses,no fleet of battery powered utility trucks, etc.
Also, seems the ones pushing 'EVs are the greatest thing since sliced bread' do NOT own or drive them. Instead use planes,trains and ICE vehicles to get where ever they have to go.

Reactions: 1 user

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I won't trust 'car companies' or tests from 'Consumer Report' like magazines unless they test under ACTUAL weather and driving conditions.CBC Marketplace had a GREAT segment on EVs a month ago, bottom line....they are NOT worth buying.NOT good for the environment, NOT economical to drive or maintain or store.
Do I think EVs have a future ? Sure , but only as in town vehicles, where the town has a mini nuke power plant. Still don't here about ANY city having successfully changed over to EVs for City owned vehicles, no battery powered busses,no fleet of battery powered utility trucks, etc.
Also, seems the ones pushing 'EVs are the greatest thing since sliced bread' do NOT own or drive them. Instead use planes,trains and ICE vehicles to get where ever they have to go.
Mostly agree with you Jay but someone’s buying the almost 2 million Teslas sold a year. Plus the other companies, but their production is negligible.
As I said before I’m in Tesla for ALL the companies, not just the cars. My own feelings are as batteries get really good they will take off in the next 5-7 years. Probably surpassing sales of ICE cars in 10 years. Pollution problems should also change for the better as the next battery tech won’t use lithium.
Tesla will still be the leader as they have established if nothing else a brand with a loyal cult like following akin to Apple.
The people that are buying EV’s you rarely hear them say I’m getting a Hyundai EV. It’s almost always Tesla.
In closing I have to disagree with you on no one’s buying for fleet. Pepsi has ordered at least 100 or more Semi’s and has already received some. UPS, Walmart and FedEx want them too. Problem for now is Elon’s not ready for big production numbers. If memory serves he will be by late 2024 or 2025.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Mostly agree with you Jay but someone’s buying the almost 2 million Teslas sold a year. Plus the other companies, but their production is negligible.
Tesla is far from the largest electric vehicle producer in the world. But they do produce the ones that Americans like the most. The Chinese and Europeans are largely buying Chinese electric vehicles (as are NZers and Australians and others). Americans don't like small cars, and like a lot more range than most countries need (your commutes are longer).

What I find amazing is the claims that the software load in the Chinese cars is better. I always doubt that, but my only real experience with Chinese software is the software load in a Huawei router, and those really really suck. Perhaps the cars are better.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Our governor here wants to make Maine the California of the east.
She's big on solar and electric. I recently saw a interview with the head of Maines power company and he was asked if we put in place 25% electric cars like our gov has a plan for mainers to drive. He said if it was today the grid would crash. As we don't have the electricity to support that.
Another news reporter recently did a news story about his neighbors , a retired couple that had bought a new electric car and after six months traded it in. They had a list of why it didn't work for them but mostly a PIA trying to plan plug in spots if they drove around the state at all. They Said it just didn't work for them.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
wow. Pepsi has ordered 100 EV trucks to add to their fleet of 36,000 trucks.....
Sounds more like a PR stunt,than a sound financial decision.
All EVs have the same problems. Expensive batteries with a short life, terrible recharge time and cost, limited range. Now IF you can solve all THREE of these problems, economically, you'll be the richest man on Earth.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
wow. Pepsi has ordered 100 EV trucks to add to their fleet of 36,000 trucks.....
Sounds more like a PR stunt,than a sound financial decision.
All EVs have the same problems. Expensive batteries with a short life, terrible recharge time and cost, limited range. Now IF you can solve all THREE of these problems, economically, you'll be the richest man on Earth.
As I recall (being told)....... the Stanley Steamer was a great idea too !

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
As I said before I’m in Tesla for ALL the companies, not just the cars. My own feelings are as batteries get really good they will take off in the next 5-7 years. Probably surpassing sales of ICE cars in 10 years. Pollution problems should also change for the better as the next battery tech won’t use lithium.
Tesla will still be the leader as they have established if nothing else a brand with a loyal cult like following akin to Apple.
The people that are buying EV’s you rarely hear them say I’m getting a Hyundai EV. It’s almost always Tesla.
In closing I have to disagree with you on no one’s buying for fleet. Pepsi has ordered at least 100 or more Semi’s and has already received some. UPS, Walmart and FedEx want them too. Problem for now is Elon’s not ready for big production numbers. If memory serves he will be by late 2024 or 2025.
Read this article

or the fanboys perspective

If EV's and Tesla's were so great and cheap to operate then why is Hertz dumping their fleet of Tesla's? Because they are too costly to maintain

I would consider an EV as a second vehicle for driving around town but I wouldn't want one if I had to drive any kind of distance.

When I do the math an EV doesn't make sense. Based my my current cost of electricity ($0.18/kwhr including all the BS delivery fees, connection fees, taxes, taxes on taxes) an EV will cost about $0.04/km to operate. My 4th gen hybrid Prius costs $0.06/km to operate at $1.50/L = $6.00/gal.

An EV will save me 30% of my fuel costs so I would save $400/year driving an EV instead of my Prius.

A brand new 2024 Prius Prime PHEV will cost me $1200/year to insure with $500 deductible. A Tesla 3 will cost me $3400/year to insure with a $1000 deductible. (FYI The insurer won't allow a $500 deductible because of the high cost of repairs and parts for Teslas)

So in my case I will save $400 in gas but my insurance goes up $2200 a year. No thanks. Don't try and tell me how much cheaper a Tesla is to operate because I could save $120/year on oil and filter changes I would have to do on my Prius.

Incidentally a 2024 Prius Prime will cost about $0.04/km in gas to operate. And I can go 1,000km per tank, spend only 5minutes at a gas station to refill and I will have no range anxiety when my 400km Tesla range becomes <300km in winter and when I drive on the highways.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Read this article

or the fanboys perspective

If EV's and Tesla's were so great and cheap to operate then why is Hertz dumping their fleet of Tesla's? Because they are too costly to maintain

I would consider an EV as a second vehicle for driving around town but I wouldn't want one if I had to drive any kind of distance.

When I do the math an EV doesn't make sense. Based my my current cost of electricity ($0.18/kwhr including all the BS delivery fees, connection fees, taxes, taxes on taxes) an EV will cost about $0.04/km to operate. My 4th gen hybrid Prius costs $0.06/km to operate at $1.50/L = $6.00/gal.

An EV will save me 30% of my fuel costs so I would save $400/year driving an EV instead of my Prius.

A brand new 2024 Prius Prime PHEV will cost me $1200/year to insure with $500 deductible. A Tesla 3 will cost me $3400/year to insure with a $1000 deductible. (FYI The insurer won't allow a $500 deductible because of the high cost of repairs and parts for Teslas)

So in my case I will save $400 in gas but my insurance goes up $2200 a year. No thanks. Don't try and tell me how much cheaper a Tesla is to operate because I could save $120/year on oil and filter changes I would have to do on my Prius.

Incidentally a 2024 Prius Prime will cost about $0.04/km in gas to operate. And I can go 1,000km per tank, spend only 5minutes at a gas station to refill and I will have no range anxiety when my 400km Tesla range becomes <300km in winter and when I drive on the highways.
"Don't try and tell me how much cheaper a Tesla is to operate because I could save $120/year on oil and filter changes I would have to do on my Prius."........I never said that.

You and a few others keep coming back with all kinds of info which I already know. What you keep missing and I've said it before is I am an investor and as such I am looking at the big picture of ALL the companies under the Tesla umbrella for the long term...NOT just automotive! Elon Musk is not the richest man in the world by accident and altho the automotive division of Tesla is not perfect it has Apple like brand recognition and the cars (read batteries/software) will get much better over the next few years. I'm done with this and off to ask a tractor question!

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hmm, any good long term reports on battery powered tractors, that's FARM style ones ?
I struggle with that in principle, much like I struggle with the concept of electric long haul trucks. I think electric works well for vehicles with intermittent use where the duty cycle for a day can be handled on one charge, and therefore you can charge overnight. I don't think there's a battery tech available that can deliver a day worth of full power use on a single charge (and a day for a tractor can mean 14-16 hours running at max power all day).

Tractors that have some sort of intermittent use (sort of like an electric forklift gets) I can see. And batteries are heavy, and tractors like weight. But not 14 hours of full throttle use, which means you need charging time during the day.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
google found a CASE 75C....$100K CDN and run time of 4 hours....
Anyone know ANY farmers that only work 4 hours a day ?