M9000 muffler

AngleBlade1cc11

Equipment
M9000 4x4 W/loader
Dec 4, 2018
Scranton PA
Hey guys my muffler is cracked and looks to be full of soot. If I shake it things also rattle around inside. Should I put a new exhaust system on with the newly rebuilt engine? Messicks wants $800+ for the system. $500 for just the muffler. That’s freaking crazy. There is nothing to it. Anyone know of a replacement muffler? Maybe get a universal muffler and take to muffler shop and fabricate? I could always have a muffler shop bend me a piece of pipe to get me out of the hood and then put a muffler above hood. I don’t really want to do that but an option to save $100’s.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Hey guys my muffler is cracked and looks to be full of soot. If I shake it things also rattle around inside. Should I put a new exhaust system on with the newly rebuilt engine? Messicks wants $800+ for the system. $500 for just the muffler. That’s freaking crazy. There is nothing to it. Anyone know of a replacement muffler? Maybe get a universal muffler and take to muffler shop and fabricate? I could always have a muffler shop bend me a piece of pipe to get me out of the hood and then put a muffler above hood. I don’t really want to do that but an option to save $100’s.
I would say any used muffler you pick up and shake will likely made the noise you describe.
Mine had rusted where it comes out After the muffler, going to the vertical stack. I took the tractor to a local shop and they fabricated a new pipe for $150 bucks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not really, you don't need no 'stinking' muffler at all. It's turbocharged and the turbo is in reality a 'muffler' as it breaks up the sound waves.

One thing about the M9's is where the muffler mounts, on top of the engine, over the valve cover, close to the top of the underside of the hood, why Kubota installs heat shielding foil on the underside of the hood, if they didn't, you'd bubble the paint.

Someday when I get the motivation, I'll eliminate the mufflers on both mine and go with a straight pipe off the turbo. My one M9 has the optional and very rare down exhaust exhaust (which was for a dairy operation), I bought it used so could have come off a dairy farm for all I know.

Really not needed and the muffler is really in the way (as far as access to the valve cover.)

The mufflers are stupid priced anyway, like many Kubota replacement parts are and with a turbocharged engine, really not necessary.

Finally, a turbocharged diesel makes sweet music with a straight pipe. They just whistle from the spinning compressor blades.

If you are a competent welder and have a tube bender or have access to pre formed tube sections and can weld, male you own up or take it to a reputable muffler shop an d have them fab it up.

JC Whitney sells pre bent tube sections btw.

Far as soot goes, of course it's full of soot. The engine makes soot.

Finally, it will run better. The turbo provides all the back pressure the engine requires for proper charge stratification.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you really want a muffler. your issue will be clearance under the hood. Why the Kubota mufflers are oval, not round. Not much room under the bonnet to have a muffler in the first place.

AngleBlade1cc11

Equipment
M9000 4x4 W/loader
Dec 4, 2018
Scranton PA
I’m all for the sweet sound of a turbo with no muffler. But Have to ever heard your little 4 cylinder without a muffler. It sounds like a little bumble bee. It’s not sweet music like a 6 or 8 cylinder. I tried it. But I think I may go mufflerless for awhile and if the bumble bee nose gets to me I can always get a muffler stack. I agree with the muffler in the way also. Much easier to work on without the muffler in there.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
there actually not that loud straight piped, I have done a 9000 and a M5200, both sounded pretty good, when you think of the 4 cylinder buzz, your thinking honda. the turbo is tight enough on these little diesels that not much bark is produced. my L2501 straight piped was pretty loud, after adding the turbo it has a bit of a bark around 2100 rpms but not obnoxious.