M9000 Fuel Solenoid Shutoff

Heagon

Equipment
Kubota M9000
Sep 30, 2018
Abingdon VA
I have a 1997 M9000, ROPS, 4wd. The electronic fuel solenoid is keeping if from starting and running. Tractor starts fine with it off, and the solenoid works when it was tested on a battery. It’s obviously not getting power to open to allow it to run, it will just crank and not get fuel. Testing the connector to the solenoid it burns a test light at the glow plug position, but not past it. What most likely is the problem?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The solenoid is actually 2 parts. A run coil and s shut down coil. if one is bad it won't run at all. I suggest replacing it. Genuine Kubota dealer part is 80 bucks but there are a slew of Flea Bay for a lot less.

However, I'd use the OEM anyway. I have 2 M9's and keep a spare on the shelf all the time.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
To know exactly which type of engine stop solenoid configuration you have, your tractor's serial number is important.

forum M9000 models.jpg

The WSM provides different control scenarios determined by serial number.

I will describe the most likely one but there are others especially if your tractor is equipped with OPC or Operator Presence Controller.

The engine stop solenoid will have two internal coils both grounded through the solenoid case.

One coil is strong and is a Pull in coil whose job it is to retract the solenoid plunger during initial starting overcoming any internal friction..

The second coil is much weaker and is designed to hold the solenoid plunger continually retracted once the pull in coil has done its job.

The stronger pull in coil will overheat if powered continuously hence the weaker hold coil which can be powered continuously and not overheat.

forum M9000 solenoid.jpg

You have to test both internal coils independently. Measuring resistance between one connector wire and the case and then the second connector wire and the case is the test. You should measure resistance which is significantly different between the two coils.

From memory the ohm values are approx. 0.375 Ω and 15.6 Ω

Because there are two internal coils and these are powered at different times, you need to investigate the two power supplies to the solenoid. This check can be done with a test light at each solenoid terminal wire having the test light grounded as you first probe one wire and then the other while changing key switch positions.

The pull in coil will be powered in the Key START position. The Hold coil will be powered any time the key is in the ON position and possibly the START position too but I have not checked this.

If what I have described does not seem to match your tractor, please provide the serial number and I will look further.

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The solenoid is actually 2 parts. A run coil and s shut down coil. if one is bad it won't run at all. I suggest replacing it. Genuine Kubota dealer part is 80 bucks but there are a slew of Flea Bay for a lot less.

However, I'd use the OEM anyway. I have 2 M9's and keep a spare on the shelf all the time.
There is no "Run coil" nor is there a "Shut down coil" in the fuel shutoff solenoid. Why do you continually spew your misinformation and lies when you do not a clue what you're talking about????

There are a Pull circuit and a Hold circuit in the solenoid as Dave_eng explained.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There is no "Run coil" nor is there a "Shut down coil" in the fuel shutoff solenoid. Why do you continually spew your misinformation and lies when you do not a clue what you're talking about????

There are a Pull circuit and a Hold circuit in the solenoid as Dave_eng explained.
Regardless of what they are called, Flip’s misunderstanding of their nomenclature is no reason to provoke your own bad behavior, is it Tiger? Both coils still have to operate properly and that was clearly his intent in trying to help.... he had a “clue” .... he just misunderstood the exact operation.
Your support of Dave’s better description is helpful... no need of viciously (and incorrectly) calling someone a liar.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Regardless of what they are called, Flip’s misunderstanding of their nomenclature is no reason to provoke your own bad behavior, is it Tiger? Both coils still have to operate properly and that was clearly his intent in trying to help.... he had a “clue” .... he just misunderstood the exact operation.
Your support of Dave’s better description is helpful... no need of viciously (and incorrectly) calling someone a liar.
Yea, it's a big help to someone with a problem asking for advice and help to give them UNTRUE information. Seems to happen over and over and over and over............

Reactions: 1 users

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Both coils still have to operate properly
Apples and oranges George... sound familiar?
Exactly how is it helping someone trying to diagnose a problem with the wrong information?
One circuit run/one circuit stop
does not equal
one circuit pull/one circuit hold
Chosen words strong? Pot/Kettle.

Reactions: 1 users