m8540 shuttle shift problem??

jthurst

Mar 12, 2018
pulaski, illinois
I have a m8540 that acts like a brake is grabbing, it will stop itself with clutch pushed in going down a hill and has a hard time taking off in road gear. We jacked rear end of tractor up and both tires turn hard with tractor off and out of gear. Local shop suggested taking brake line loose and turning rear wheels when off ground, didn't make a difference. Local shop is now saying it possibly has shuttle shift going out. Anyone have experience with anything like this?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
I think hyd brakes could be the problem from possible disk dragging. Which type shuttle(hyd or synchro)? If hyd shuttle it might be possible control valve is allowing pressure to both fwd & rev clutches.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
If I remember correctly the tires aren’t “Easy” to turn on my 9540. I know that if the Hydraulic valve for the shuttle shift isn’t adjusted right it will do some crazy thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diogoroque

Equipment
kubota m8540 narrow
Feb 28, 2024
portugal
I have a m8540 that acts like a brake is grabbing, it will stop itself with clutch pushed in going down a hill and has a hard time taking off in road gear. We jacked rear end of tractor up and both tires turn hard with tractor off and out of gear. Local shop suggested taking brake line loose and turning rear wheels when off ground, didn't make a difference. Local shop is now saying it possibly has shuttle shift going out. Anyone have experience with anything like this?
hello, you solve that problem? i have the same problem in mine kubota m8540 narrow