M8540 Position Control Arms go down 1/2 way

RichInTN

Equipment
M8540, BX2200, BX2680, DM1024, WG6
Sep 27, 2013
Middle Tennessee
I recently acquired a 2009 M8540 (no cab). I went out to hook up a bush hog today and could not get the 3pt arms to go below about 24" off the ground (they will raise up to 36"). The control levers closest to the seat adjust the height, all the way to the back of the tractor drops the arms to 24" pushing it forward about 1/4 of the way and the arms lift to about 36" off the ground after that the sounds of the tractor change but the arm positions do not. The lever between it and the fender seems to have no effect regardless of it being all the way to the front or back of the tractor or midway between or any other points. I have tried adjusting the lowering rate knob all the way in both directions and in the middle. It changes the speed at which it goes up and down but it does not go any lower no matter the position.

After thinking about this... the one close to the seat I believe is the draft control, the one closer to the fender is the position control. If that is correct then it appears that the position control is having no effect. Also it appears that the draft control when being pushed forward (towards the front of the tractor) is causing the relief valve to open.

Any help (even pointing out the obvious) would be appreciated.

Times like this a manual might be a good idea...

Thanks!

Rich

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I believe you're correct about the controls. The one closest to the seat is draft and the away lever is the position control. The position control all the way down or forward should lower the arms.

Try moving the position control all the way forward and turn your rate of drop knob counterclockwise (I think) which should open the valve and allow the arms to drop.

RichInTN

Equipment
Sep 27, 2013
Middle Tennessee
With the outer (position) lever is all the way forward I get the same results. With the inner (draft) lever all the way back the arms drop from all the way to the top to about 24" off the ground when the lever is about 1/4 way forward. Moving the draft lever further forward the engine/pump sounds change, if I push the draft lever all the way forward the engine (at idle) drops RPMs a little and sounds like it is starting to labor slightly.

The icons on the position lever are:

|| when the position lever is to the front of the tractor
|o with an arrow pointing up

| with an arrow pointing down
0__ when the position lever is to the back

Rich

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Yon can change the feedback rod adjustment and get 3 pt to lower closer to the ground. Downside is 3 pt won't raise as high as it did. That's what I did on my M7040 to get 3 pt arms close to the ground

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What holes in your lift arms do you have lift cylinders in?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wonder if the feedback rod has been bent on is stuck for some reason. I haven't measured mine but I would guess and say the lift arms (9000) are around 36" at the top and they will almost drag the ground at the lower limit.

I would look at all the 3pt control linkage including where it goes in the side of the rearend housing to make sure everything is working as it should.

One more ? Does your tractor have the optional lift assist on the 3pt or is it standard?

RichInTN

Equipment
Sep 27, 2013
Middle Tennessee
In the past the lift arms went almost down to the ground. It has been about 2 months since I used the 3pt hitch.

I'm not sure what 'lift assist' is. It does have the "High Capacity" (large) lift cylinders on it. It also has the extra low (creep) speed for 3 ranges of 4 speeds each. Aside from that I think it is pretty much a stock M8540.

I'll check which holes what is in and the linkages and report back.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, Rich

RichInTN

Equipment
Sep 27, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Lift cylinders are in the holes closest to the tractor.

A quick visual inspection of the linkage doesn't show anything obvious. It was however dark and I was using a flashlight. I will double check tomorrow in the daylight.

Regardless of the position control setting the arms only move when I change the draft control. All the way back has it at the lowest; about 1/4 the way forward the highest.

Rich

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
That surely is a puzzlement.