M7060 New owner, filled wheel question

bkandor

Equipment
M7060 (new), B8200 (very old)
Jun 26, 2021
ontario
Hi,

New owner of M7060 with a M21 FEL and 82" bucket. The description for the rear wheel is 298-w (from the quote) STANDARD AG tire Option, Cast. Rear wheel

We are trying to decide about filling the rear wheels for extra weight. From everything I've read, sounds like a good idea. We do have a sub-frame mount backhoe (wallenstein 9.4') but wont have it for while (backorder). Plus it wont always be on the tractor.

I'm wondering if there are any downsides to filling the rear wheels and since they already have the cast plates if it is good to have both? I think the cost to fill with the non-corrosive option is about 700$ cdn.

Thanks

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Only 2 negatives that I can think of at the moment.
Flats, so depending on what the surfaces are if that is a real concern or not.
Transporting, if you need to trailer and you are close or at your weight limit.

For me, the added weight, improves traction, stability and ride enough that I would increase my towing capabilities if needed. As far as flats, I don't have those concerns besides that I have 10 & 8 ply tires on my tractors. If flats were a concern, I would have to look into how best to deal with that, but they are not, so I haven't.

Your back hoe is only an implement for your tractor, treat it as so. Like you said, it will not be on the tractor all the time.

Enjoy the new machine. (y)

bkandor

Equipment
Jun 26, 2021
ontario
Thanks for the advice, I think we will go ahead with it. Liquid will be agri lim 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bkandor

Equipment
Jun 26, 2021
ontario
Is there any way to know when you have enough rear ballast for the fel? I have the cast plates and now liquid in the rear. Should I add an implement to the 3pt to help, or will what I have be enough?

It's an 82" Bucket.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Your m7060 has 16.9x30 tires. Water filled adds 609lbs per tire or 1218lbs total. Add the weight of the cast weight plates to that and I'm guessing you've got plenty of ballast! The LA1154 loader has a max lift capacity of 2960lbs. Subtract the weight of your ballast from the lift capacity. My personal rule of thumb has always been if your counterweight is more than half the rated lift capacity of the loader, you'll be ok. The weight of the loader is accounted for in the counterweight of the tractor itself.
2960-1218=1742
1480lbs is half your loader capacity so 1742-1480=262
If your cast weights weigh more than 262lbs your good to go (in my opiniun!).

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Is there any way to know when you have enough rear ballast for the fel? I have the cast plates and now liquid in the rear. Should I add an implement to the 3pt to help, or will what I have be enough?

It's an 82" Bucket.
If you can you should always run with ballast off the 3 point. The load tires and weights are a plus in they add stability to your tractor and improve traction. The ballast on the 3 point will transfer the weight to the rear axle. This makes your tractor more stable because the front axle is fixed to the frame through a pivot point. Compared to the rear axle that fixed to or is part of the frame. The ballast on the 3 point will also lighten the load on the front tires. This prevents the front tires from digging in as much when the bucket is loaded heavy. On some tractors you will find the the load capacity of the loader will put more weight onto the tires then they are designed to carry. Then there is the age old argument that the ballast will reduce the wear and tear on the front axle's parts as you drive the tractor.

The bottom line is the fact you are better off using the ballast along with the loaded tires and cast weights. You will often see larger tractors run the loader with nothing on the 3 point but that does not mean that you should not use the ballast.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
If you can you should always run with ballast off the 3 point. The load tires and weights are a plus in they add stability to your tractor and improve traction. The ballast on the 3 point will transfer the weight to the rear axle. This makes your tractor more stable because the front axle is fixed to the frame through a pivot point. Compared to the rear axle that fixed to or is part of the frame. The ballast on the 3 point will also lighten the load on the front tires. This prevents the front tires from digging in as much when the bucket is loaded heavy. On some tractors you will find the the load capacity of the loader will put more weight onto the tires then they are designed to carry. Then there is the age old argument that the ballast will reduce the wear and tear on the front axle's parts as you drive the tractor.

The bottom line is the fact you are better off using the ballast along with the loaded tires and cast weights. You will often see larger tractors run the loader with nothing on the 3 point but that does not mean that you should not use the ballast.
How much weight do you recomend on the 3 point? I have personal experience with to much counterweight. Just curious.

bkandor

Equipment
Jun 26, 2021
ontario
HI, thanks for that breakdown!

The loader we are getting is a quicke q21 (called M21) here: Q21 Quicke Front Loader | Farmhand.ie
It states these specs:
  1. 1,360 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, ground level1,230 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, 1.5 m lift height1,190 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, max. lift height
1360kg = 3000 lbs 800mm out, but it's 5,026lbs from the pivot point. So this is was has me wondering.

I can't find capacity specs for the bucket itself the M7202 or M5938? Described as an 82" Bucket.

If it turns out as mentioned above that I need more ballast on the 3pt hitch I'll have to figure out whats the easiest way to do that.

Thanks for all the info!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
{2960 - (Weight of fluid plus + weight of the wheel weights)} x .75 = the weight of the ballast.

I would guess at least 1000 pounds.

This is pure guess.

ranger danger

Equipment
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
HI, thanks for that breakdown!

The loader we are getting is a quicke q21 (called M21) here: Q21 Quicke Front Loader | Farmhand.ie
It states these specs:
  1. 1,360 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, ground level1,230 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, 1.5 m lift height1,190 kg 800 mm from pivot pin, max. lift height
1360kg = 3000 lbs 800mm out, but it's 5,026lbs from the pivot point. So this is was has me wondering.

I can't find capacity specs for the bucket itself the M7202 or M5938? Described as an 82" Bucket.

If it turns out as mentioned above that I need more ballast on the 3pt hitch I'll have to figure out whats the easiest way to do that.

Thanks for all the info!
Thanks for the clarification on the loader. The size of the bucket does not change the lift capacity of the loader. The loader will lift 3000lbs with a 60" bucket or an 82" bucket. As for counterweight, it "most likely" won't hurt anything. Try and keep the 3 point counterweight as close to the tractor as you can because if it sticks out to far, you'll be constantly backing it to close to objects behind you. The lifting capacity of the 3 point is 3300 lbs at 24" behind the pivot point. I would consider 1500 to 2000 lbs as my max for a 3 point counterweight.