M7060 Chisel Plow - What size?

Murorange

Jan 30, 2020
Chapin, SC
I'm looking for a chisel plow for my M7060 and wanted to see what folks recommended. I have mainly clay soils and I'd like to be able to get down 13"-15" to help with drainage in some areas.

How many shanks and any brands/types in particular I should be looking at?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
How many acres do you want to plow? Is this a repeatable job or a one and done? Do you have a budget in mind? I am not sure how deep you can go with a chisel plow but 13 to 15 inches seams extremely deep. You might need to look at a subsoiler to reach down that far and a 2-3 point one would more then likely be plenty for such a tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I used two shank subsoiler maybe little deeper than that with my M6800. In dirt with real hard pan it was load on my JD 5525 which has 91 engine hp and four wheel drive. You be sure get subsoiler with shear bolts or trip system. I also think subsoiler is better suited for that depth than chisel plows. I used a seven shank subsoiler with standard points on the shanks. In heavy soil would drop off the outside shank on each side.

Suggest you check your soil to see if you have a hardpan. If you are not sure already post hole diggers (manual ones) a good way to. A shovel will also work but you need to dig down to find the hardpan if there is one and then dig through it so you know the depth you need to plow to. Breaking hardpan is a good way to help with water issues.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have the Everything Attachments subsoiler in the video from BigG's post. I was finally able to use it about two weeks ago. It is a hoss. I doubt I could break it as it is well built, plus it has a shear pin, which I have not broken yet. It can easily get down to the depths you specified. The only downside is it is one shank. I've been running it on my 1975 68 hp John Deere. I have had it stop the tractor at times while it is fully buried, but it works great.

Reactions: 1 user

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Never heard of any chisel plow doing 15".
x2! Chisel plows are just for breaking up any compaction layer you've created by disking, etc.. They barely scratch the surface compared to a subsoiler. It's all my M5-091 can do to pull an 8 point chisel plow with loaded tires and all the front weights I can carry through sandy loam. I'm thinking more than 1-2 shanks on a subsoiler would be tough for a M7060 or even my M5 if I wanted to stay around the 5mph mark like I try to do to be productive.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I've had the the EA attachment sub soiler for 4 years now and it does what I want. I have broke one shear bolt while using it, hooked a big root and snapped it.

I use it in my garden twice a year, go long ways first and then across it. My tractor is 46 HP and I pull it in 4wd in low 2nd gear. Subsoil in the winter before adding leaves and then in spring before planting. Sure it does not need doing that often but works for me.

I run it about 16" deep may be little deeper sometimes but my target is that depth. I have trees around my garden so I use it to break the roots that try to invade it as well as keep the hard pan broke up for good water seepage into ground.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Problem with a single shank is, it's not productive time wise but most people on here don't have large enough units to effectively pull a multi shank unit anyway.

Think I'd just buy a used multi share moldboard plow instead. Be apprised that just like a multi point ripper, it will take serious power (and weight) to use it effectively.

Crawdaddy2008

Equipment
M5040D 4WD Kubota Tractor, LC2350F Kubota Tractor, RTV500 Kubota Utility Vehicle
Aug 29, 2020
Greenwood, SC
I'm looking for a chisel plow for my M7060 and wanted to see what folks recommended. I have mainly clay soils and I'd like to be able to get down 13"-15" to help with drainage in some areas.

How many shanks and any brands/types in particular I should be looking at?
I have a two point chisel plow that I have never been able to use. My M5040 Kubota 4WD could not pull it.. I will take $400 for it. Paid $750. e-mail me if interested crawdaddy2008@live.com

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I have a two point chisel plow that I have never been able to use. My M5040 Kubota 4WD could not pull it.. I will take $400 for it. Paid $750. e-mail me if interested crawdaddy2008@live.com
If you are not aware you are not recommended to post your email address like this. There is a thread right now on it. Set up to receive private message here.

Now to your post, you have a two shank chisel plow and your 50 hp Kubota with 4 wheel drive can not pull it? I have a M6800 two wheel drive and pull a 5 shank chisel plow it it. Do you have a picture of your plow or specs on it? You sure it is a chisel plow and not a subsoiler? I might be interested in it.

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
Rule of thumb for REAL chiseling is 12-15hp per shank. Been my observation lots of people new to Ag get sub soilers, renovators and chisel plows confused. Chisel plows have chisel points.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Chisel plows are shallow tools to break up the surface of the soil. A renovator is designed to do the middle depths with the minimal damage to the surface. A subsoiler goes the deepest thus requiring the most hp per shank.

Thus having been said the above, the design of all three are very similar.

Murorange

Jan 30, 2020
Chapin, SC
Thanks for the info so far. Seems for a subsoiler I probably need 2 shank (check your email crawdaddy... i’m not too far from Greenwood). For a chisel, sounds like maybe 5 shank?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Thanks for the info so far. Seems for a subsoiler I probably need 2 shank (check your email crawdaddy... i’m not too far from Greenwood). For a chisel, sounds like maybe 5 shank?

My subsoiler puts a tremendous strain on my old 68 hp tractor. At full depth, the subsoiler will stop the tractor if it hits big roots or hard ground. I spin tires at times as well. That is running in lowest gear. Your tractor may be a bit more capable, especially if it has 4 wheel drive. Mine is 2 wheel drive with AG tires.

Of course, you don't have to run at full depth.

wildwolfproducts

Equipment
Kubota M-4700 Ferris IS2000
Apr 15, 2010
Stantonville TN
With a 4x4 55hp PTO tractor we pulled a 5 shank Chiesel plow. But it was only going 8" or so deep. Our 5 shank Subsoiler, the 175 HP tractor could pull it 18" deep in most fields. But then some it would pull it down so bad it was unreal.

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
One very important point, maybe two here on subsoilers. There are different designs. There are those like mine which have straight shanks with sharpen front edge that help slice the ground and roots. Then there are subsoiler with curved shanks to shatter the hard pan better as it lifted it more than the straight shanks one best I understand. Then there are the offset shanks which are bent to the side to help disturb the soil. Each no doubt has different horse power requirements. There is just as much and maybe more differences in soils the hardpans found. The depth they are, the thickness they are and how hard they are. The type of the soil also affects the traction.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
IMHO the Dirtdog brand is designed more similar to a field cult than a chisel plow. Back in the mid '60s-mid '80s when I was employed by a JD dealer we sold a lot of those type implements that were manufactured by Fred Cain Co. They were called "tiller tools"