M7040SUD Shop Manual

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
Hello All! Newbie to the forum. I've been fortunate over the years to be able to fix many things myself without the manual but I'm thinking I'll need one soon. My steering controller is has been leaking and I've had about as much as I can take. I'm not fond of leaks. It fills up the steering shaft tube and leaks just below the steering wheel. Looking at the parts diagram of the controller (3C001-63072 made by Eaton) I see a lot of tiny parts, seals (obviously) and other stuff.

So I'm considering ordering the shop manual and have read too many comments online about the manual really not being as detailed or informative as one would expect. I know shop manuals expects the person to be pretty savvy with troubleshooting and tools which is where I'm at (I think ;)). I've looked for youtube videos but don't see any similar to my controller. More searching to be done.

For those of you that bought one of these are you happy with it's content? Or, do you have a recommendation of other material?

Cheers
Craig

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello All! Newbie to the forum. I've been fortunate over the years to be able to fix many things myself without the manual but I'm thinking I'll need one soon. My steering controller is has been leaking and I've had about as much as I can take. I'm not fond of leaks. It fills up the steering shaft tube and leaks just below the steering wheel. Looking at the parts diagram of the controller (3C001-63072 made by Eaton) I see a lot of tiny parts, seals (obviously) and other stuff.

So I'm considering ordering the shop manual and have read too many comments online about the manual really not being as detailed or informative as one would expect. I know shop manuals expects the person to be pretty savvy with troubleshooting and tools which is where I'm at (I think ;)). I've looked for youtube videos but don't see any similar to my controller. More searching to be done.

For those of you that bought one of these are you happy with it's content? Or, do you have a recommendation of other material?

Cheers
Craig
You will need a new seal and oring for the input shaft of the controller. The seal is easy to install once you have the controller removed , simple remove the snap ring and carefully pry out the old seal and replace it with new parts. There was a bulletin about it because the original oring wouldn't withstand the heat and would get hard and cause the leak you are experiencing. I've attached the bulletin. You could try just replacing the oring and save the cost of the seal because it likely isn't the problem. The risk would be if you damaged the seal removing it. You would just be out your time removing it and replacing it a second time. Do not disassemble the controller any more than removing the seal and be as clean as possible! The bulletin doesn't list your tractor model but it is the same seal and o-ring.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
Thanks eserv. I'll replace both seals since I'm in there. From what I can tell that seal can only be reached by removing the backside of the pump (7 bolts) Correct? Or can it be done from the steering shaft input side? See attached - arrow.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks eserv. I'll replace both seals since I'm in there. From what I can tell that seal can only be reached by removing the backside of the pump (7 bolts) Correct? Or can it be done from the steering shaft input side? See attached - arrow.
It can only be done from the steering shaft end. Don't remove the 7 bolts and/or disassemble the controller! The chances of getting it back together again and operating properly are remote. You might change your mind when you see the price of the seal.

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
Thank you eserv. You've saved me a bunch of time. Looking at the diagram i thought I'd have to take out everything from the bottom of the controller. I'm surprised to not find more on-line about the o-ring design issue or even videos. The local Kubota dealer didn't mentioned it either when I told them what was going on.

Appreciate the resource RCW. I'll check them out. I called Messicks and asked what date or revision was the manual they sold. All he'd tell me is it's wrapped up in plastic and it's $142.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thank you eserv. You've saved me a bunch of time. Looking at the diagram i thought I'd have to take out everything from the bottom of the controller. I'm surprised to not find more on-line about the o-ring design issue or even videos. The local Kubota dealer didn't mentioned it either when I told them what was going on.

Appreciate the resource RCW. I'll check them out. I called Messicks and asked what date or revision was the manual they sold. All he'd tell me is it's wrapped up in plastic and it's $142.
The Bulletin I posted doesn't specifically include the 7040 tractors but when you look up the part in the official Kubota parts it references to this bulletin. The controller used on the 7040 is the same design ( maybe speced a little differently re displacement etc. ) as the one in the bulletin so subject to the same failure. regardless, The only way oil can come up the column is if this seal or o-ring has failed. I repaired this leak on a lot of larger M tractors but I haven't actually seen it on a M7040. We actually had a M125x burn in our area because of oil leakage from this seal onto the engine.

Last edited:

bsekf

Premium Member

Equipment
m5400
Jul 27, 2013
Western NY
I have a 7030 and the Owners Manual I bought off e-bay is lacking to say the least. Where do I get a better, more in-depth manual? I don't see the 7030 listed in the above link.

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
eserv, I installed a new seal kit, 3C011-97050, and the high temp o-ring, 3T403-97040. Before I put the dash on and all the other stuff back on I started it and turned the wheels fully left and right several times. Not a drop leaked. Let it run for 15 minutes and repeated the process, no leak. Success!

I then put the dash on, cover, and steering wheel. All done. I started it and oil came running out of the steering column like a river. What the heck did I do wrong. I didn't touch the steering controller after I did the leak check.

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
I have a 7030 and the Owners Manual I bought off e-bay is lacking to say the least. Where do I get a better, more in-depth manual? I don't see the 7030 listed in the above link.
Might looking at Messick's website and search their manuals. Once you get the Kubota PN google it. Maybe you'll find an uploaded copy.

TexasBBQ

Equipment
M7040SUD
Aug 16, 2021
Texas
Found out what I did wrong when installing the new seal, I didn't get the spring/snap ring fully seated. It sure looked like it was. I had to put a clamp to apply a little downward pressure and the ring expanded a little but that was enough to prevent any leaks. Been running for a couple weeks now and not a drop.

Appreciate the help!