M7040 Remote valve is hard to get out of float...

tom-ky

Equipment
M7040
May 28, 2012
Ky
Is there any adjustment on the remote to control has easy it is to get out of the float position? Goes into float pretty easy but is really a tough pull to get out.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Is there any adjustment on the remote to control has easy it is to get out of the float position? Goes into float pretty easy but is really a tough pull to get out.
The float is "positioned" by balls around a spool internal to the control valve. If you look at the valve (under the right side floorpan, inside the protective shield) I believe it's the upper cable that is the up/down spool. Memory being what it is, you may want to trace the cable. Anyhow on mine the external cover had backed out and was causing similar symptoms. Look and make sure everything tight there. Just to clarify this is on the front of the tractor side of the control valve..... opposite of where the cables connect to the spool valves. There may as well have been a dust cap over each spool, can't remember and can't get to the tractor till tomorrow.

Ron

tom-ky

Equipment
M7040
May 28, 2012
Ky
The float is "positioned" by balls around a spool internal to the control valve. If you look at the valve (under the right side floorpan, inside the protective shield) I believe it's the upper cable that is the up/down spool. Memory being what it is, you may want to trace the cable. Anyhow on mine the external cover had backed out and was causing similar symptoms. Look and make sure everything tight there. Just to clarify this is on the front of the tractor side of the control valve..... opposite of where the cables connect to the spool valves. There may as well have been a dust cap over each spool, can't remember and can't get to the tractor till tomorrow.

Ron
The auxiliary remotes are mounted right above the top link, are you talking about the loader valve?

This valve looks different than most control valves I have dealt with. There is allen head screw with a lock nut in the end of it, wonder what it adjusts?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I assume your remotes are like what my M9000 has.

If so, take the cap / cover off the end of the remote. Be very careful though because the ball bearings will go everywhere. Feel around the groove for any rust, ruff spots and/or burrs. Check real close on the lip or edge where the balls go in the groove. Mine had a very sharp edge which I took some sand paper to and smoothed down. I was afraid to do very much to it because I didn't want it to loose the ability to lock in the float position. And this can happen because my loader valve had some rust in it and after getting it clean it now won't stay in float. I have to hold it in when needed. Anyway, clean it up, sand it smooth and make sure all the trash is out. Put a small amount of grease on the bearings so they can't fall out when putting it back together.

Now this is personal preference I guess, I did it to mine. I drilled a small hole (the size of plastic can straw) in the end of the cap on top and bottom. Now I can use spray grease to lubricate the bearing without taking it apart. After doing this it made a huge difference in the remote. My opinion it's still not as good as it should be but it makes it more usable than what it was. Hope this helps.

tom-ky

Equipment
M7040
May 28, 2012
Ky
I assume your remotes are like what my M9000 has.

If so, take the cap / cover off the end of the remote. Be very careful though because the ball bearings will go everywhere. Feel around the groove for any rust, ruff spots and/or burrs. Check real close on the lip or edge where the balls go in the groove. Mine had a very sharp edge which I took some sand paper to and smoothed down. I was afraid to do very much to it because I didn't want it to loose the ability to lock in the float position. And this can happen because my loader valve had some rust in it and after getting it clean it now won't stay in float. I have to hold it in when needed. Anyway, clean it up, sand it smooth and make sure all the trash is out. Put a small amount of grease on the bearings so they can't fall out when putting it back together.

Now this is personal preference I guess, I did it to mine. I drilled a small hole (the size of plastic can straw) in the end of the cap on top and bottom. Now I can use spray grease to lubricate the bearing without taking it apart. After doing this it made a huge difference in the remote. My opinion it's still not as good as it should be but it makes it more usable than what it was. Hope this helps.
This valve does not have the cap as most spool valves I have dealt with. More of a square block with the stud and nut on the end. Parts manual really don't help muck and really did not want to experiment with it right now without knowing. I have not looked at how the loader valve is made the this is the auxiliary remote valve.