M7040 Hydraulic shuttle very jerky

arobint

Equipment
M7040, M4700
Mar 17, 2021
Quebec, Canada
First tractor with hydraulic shuttle, but its a used cab model with 800hrs, 2013 I believe. Shifting the hydraulic shuttle is not smooth. Worse when going into reverse, when you throw the lever it pauses for a couple seconds, and then jerks backward quite hard. Same whether moving slowly or from a complete stop. I've never done the high speed reverse thing, always tried to be gentle with it. Any suggestions/ideas?

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
What engine rpm are you shifting hyd reverser control? I own a '11 M7040 that has been utilized to handle many rd bales that I utilize foot throttle that allows tractor direction change to happen at lower engine rpm's without much harshness. IIRC these tractors have a shift modulation valve.

arobint

Equipment
M7040, M4700
Mar 17, 2021
Quebec, Canada
What engine rpm are you shifting hyd reverser control? I own a '11 M7040 that has been utilized to handle many rd bales that I utilize foot throttle that allows tractor direction change to happen at lower engine rpm's without much harshness. IIRC these tractors have a shift modulation valve.
I don't use any throttle at all, because it's so jerky. Shift modulation valve? Would you suggest trying to adjust it? Is that all in the shop manual? Thanks!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I don't use any throttle at all, because it's so jerky. Shift modulation valve? Would you suggest trying to adjust it? Is that all in the shop manual? Thanks!
The only adjustment I see is clutch free play (15 - 20 mm). There's probably a pressure adjustment.
Did this come on suddenly, or gradually over time?
Have you lubricated/checked the shuttle cable?
When you use the foot clutch, does it operate smoothly?

arobint

Equipment
M7040, M4700
Mar 17, 2021
Quebec, Canada
The only adjustment I see is clutch free play (15 - 20 mm). There's probably a pressure adjustment.
Did this come on suddenly, or gradually over time?
Have you lubricated/checked the shuttle cable?
When you use the foot clutch, does it operate smoothly?
Going in to reverse it’s the same jerkiness with foot clutch or hydraulic shuttle. I didn’t add this to my profile but I have a bunch of other tractors (landini 60-80hp tractors) and some older farmalls, and none of them have anything like the sudden jerk of this unit.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Going in to reverse it’s the same jerkiness with foot clutch or hydraulic shuttle. I didn’t add this to my profile but I have a bunch of other tractors (landini 60-80hp tractors) and some older farmalls, and none of them have anything like the sudden jerk of this unit.
Can't help, but maybe one of the resident experts will come on. The M7040 I use occasionally, open station, is smooth as silk. One of my early posts was how to be sure if it was synchro-shuttle or hydraulic shuttle. I'd lube the cables and make sure they're free.
Are you using Kubota fluid?