M6950DT PTO problem

m6950dt girl

Equipment
M6950DT Tractor
Dec 9, 2011
South Australia
Hi,
I've recently picked up an older Kubota M6950DT Tractor for our farm, and am currently restoring it to its former glory. I have everything working (including the air con and wipers!) except the PTO... PTO will only turn when the tractor is in gear and moving, infact when you put the tractor in reverse the PTO shaft turns the opposite way!. PTO does not turn when tractor is idling, but doenst matter if its engaged or not, it always turns when driving tractor. Wondering why this is and hoping the tractor wont have to be split to fix it!?!?!

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
I hope someone can help you that knows more about your specific tractor. Anyway, look for another lever. We had an old Massey that could be switched between the standard 540 RPM PTO and a Ground Engage PTO. The Ground Engage worked exactly as you are describing although we never had a use for it.

Good luck

m6950dt girl

Equipment
M6950DT Tractor
Dec 9, 2011
South Australia
Okay thanks Wxman! I was thinking the same thing - there must be a second lever to engage the PTO to 540 RPM. I'm aware of one lever below the steering wheel, but I'm guessing the second lever is next to the lever that engages the 4WD, but when I've used this unknown lever and nothing happened. I've now named this unknown lever as "ejection seat lever"... he he... I've ordered an operators manual for the tractor so hopefully that will give me some hope. Appreciate if anyone else has any ideas!