M6040 pause after shifting

provalent

Jun 15, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Our M6040 will, occasionally, pause after being shifted into either F or R. If you let it sit, it may then start moving after 10 or more seconds. If you take it out of gear and put it back in, it will start moving promptly. If you are impatient and open the throttle more, it will probably start moving. Once moving again, it operates properly. Dealer perplexed. Owner perplexed. No apparent reason for when it does this. Can't cause it to happen. Did it twice yesterday in 3 hours of heavy use. Has been doing this for years. No different sound in engine or otherwise when it does it. Thoughts welcome.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
I don't have a solution but I can tell you my 6040 has delays going into gear and I would say it is by design. Mine is still under 100hrs btw. The amount of delay is different depending on gear, the higher the gear to softer/longer it comes in. My guess is they intend this to soften the load impact on the whole geartrain and motor as well I guess. Given your symptoms I'd take a stab at your having a linkage or dirt problem in the valve body. If there's another part involved in the timing/applying of the clutches I don't know, claim ignorance, but the dealers mechanic should well know.

Ron

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Has your mechanic done a hydraulic pressure test before and after the modulator during the delayed shift ?

E/S

provalent

Jun 15, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Pressure checked when operating normally and is in range. We haven't been able to duplicate this pause when the tractor is in the dealer's shop or being used in the yard. As noted, in recent days, this happened twice over 3 hours of usage.

Btw, this pause goes beyond anything that would have been designed into the product. I have other Kubotas and other tractors, so my expectations are not out of the realm of reasonable.

Was hoping that someone had a similiar experience and had solved it.

Brother is mumbling something about "internal hydraulic clutch activator"...