M5700 (2001) 4WD/Transmission problem

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
I have an interesting thing happening with my tractor, If I climb a fairly steep 45* incline and push the clutch in while still in a forward gear the tractor will start to roll back but something catches and stop the tractor. It is like when the engine is off and you put the clucth in and tractor rolls back but then let the clutch out and it stops it because it is in gear, except it does this when engine is running and with the clutch depressed. then when I let the clutch out it acts like the gears are in a bind but then releases and takes off. I can go forward and reverse several times and it will eventually quit doing it. It has done the several times. it also did this when I was decelerating in a forward motion. I depressed the clutch and it coasted a short distance and then locked up the tires. It again acted like it was in a bind when I let out on the clutch to take off but just releases and goes like normal. It seems to be making some noise when doing this. Any Ideas out there? Thanks

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Shuttle transmission????
The clutch supposedly has a modulator valve integrated into it's operation that somehow controls the clutch pack pressures/release points. Sounds like maybe yours is thinking for some reason that it should be engaging two clutch packs at a time while the clutch is depressed (like being in two gears at the same time). Not a good situation, really hard on parts. I'd think a dealer should do a diagnostic on the tranny/clutch system ASAP before you actually break something.
But hey, that's just the opinion of a shade-tree mechanic. I can do the older Dodge and Chevy automatics and Sun-Strand type hydro units, but have never torn into a shuttle type tranny (which is really just a hybrid automatic).
This sounds like a question for SD Vic.

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Thank you to the information. Just to clear something up I don't let the tractor go down the described steep incline with the clutch depressed. I was just referring that it did this behavior after transgressing a steep incline. When I first noticed it I was on a very slight incline setting still while checking my cattle and took my foot off the brake and the tractor started to roll back and then caught like described.

I understand that the cab has to be lifted and the tractor split in two to get to the clutch pack. That has to cost a lot to do that.

I am going to baby the tractor for the next two weeks because I have to feed and hay my cattle with it. I talked to the dealer here that I purchased the tractor from and they said the same thing about the clutch pack.
Also said if it goes boom it will cost a lot more to repair.

Do the clutches go out or is this due to abuse. I will have to say that I have used my tractor pretty hard over the years. I guess I will have to start taking it easy on it after I get it fixed. Thanks for your help. Jay

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Thanks again for the information. I will admit that I have a bad habit leaving my foot on the pedal while driving. I also have done a lot of brush and smaller tree clearing on my land and use the tractor to push the stuff into pile. Wow when I think back and look at all the stuff I have done (990 hours worth) this tractor it is a testament to how good Kubota is. I would have to say that I have been a proving grounds for Kubota. To think this little tractor has done all that I have put it through has me completely sold on Kubota brand. I want to get a bigger Kubota in the future so that I can start cutting and bailing my own hay vs splitting the hay with someone else for them doing the work.

I wish I had a M6800 engine to put into my tractor while it is apart. I heard they would fit. I wonder what it would cost for a good used one vs new. Maybe a turbo kit for it!! LOL Thanks Jay

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Well it didn't take long for the problem to progress to the point of no return. I was attempting to put out round bales of hay yesterday. I had backed up form the hay stack and had just started forward when a disturbing noise came from the tractor and stopped it. the shift levers were very stiff/binding acting and the tractor would only go in reverse direction (thank God). When I would try to go forward every thing binds up like taking off with the break set. Motor pulls down. I never pushed this very hard so that I didn't break gears and shafts. I guess it is time for the clutch repair. Bummer.

I am very handy with tools and have built big and small block chevy engines. I have tools and a shop. Is splitting the tractor something I could do myself of is it best left for the pro's. Is there repair manuals somewhere I can buy for this job? Thanks for any info on this problem. Jay

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
This is not a clutch problem. no way I can see the clutch locking the tractor up like that. Something has failed in the transmission!
Ed

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Thanks for the information guys. I will look into it. Does make sense that the gears are binding up since it will go in reverse just fine. Hi and Low range is Ok as well in reverse. I can shift all four gears just fine in reverse as well. Defiantly won't go forward at all. When I gently try it just binds and pulls the motor down. Then all shift levers get stiff (hard to shift) feeling for a short time until I reverse the tractor some then all shifters are ok. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated. Jay

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Wow! Ok you guys were right. It was not the clutch causing my problems. I finally found that underneath the tractor there was very hard mud caked in around the forward and reverse shift lever that was keeping it from going into forward or reverse completely and this caused it to become jammed between gears. Once it was cleaned out and finally got it un jammed it worked like new. Tried everything to get it to mess up again and it worked fine. Man oh man this turned out great. Again thank you guys very much for the insight. I am so glad that there are forums like this one to turn to when a problem arises. I love Orange! Jay