M5660 toolbox and chain carrier

WillyBill

Equipment
M5660SUHD, LA1154SU w/3rd Function
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
I looked around for a better toolbox for my M5660. Couldn’t find anything that I liked better than the toolboxes on our JDs, so I ordered one and made a bracket for it that bolts to existing holes behind the seat. I can reach in the toolbox from the seat and can see over it to the rear. The tray hangs on the front of the box and the whole box can be removed by lifting and rotating a pin.

IMG_2237.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

WillyBill

Equipment
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
I also made a chain carrier and bolted it on using existing holes in the FEL mount. The 5x7 rectangular tube is 18 inches long and used to be the part of the tool bar on a JD 7000 4 row planter that was cut down to make a 2 row planter. Haven’t painted it yet because I may weld some tabs on the side to pin clevises to. I’ve found that it’s also the best place to keep a pair of gloves.

IMG_2234.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

WillyBill

Equipment
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
BLASPHEMY! Get the torches boys, I'm formin a possy!

J/k looks good. About my only complaint about my tractor is that stupid little chunk of plastic. Useless.
I figured it would void the warranty, but dang it, that little plastic box they put on that tractor is practically useless, and it won’t take long for the plastic hinge to break.

Now I’m looking for a small cooler that I can mount in the space where the plastic tool box was. Or I may make a carrier for a water jug.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I looked around for a better toolbox for my M5660. Couldn’t find anything that I liked better than the toolboxes on our JDs, so I ordered one and made a bracket for it that bolts to existing holes behind the seat. I can reach in the toolbox from the seat and can see over it to the rear. The tray hangs on the front of the box and the whole box can be removed by lifting and rotating a pin.

View attachment 107865
I might have missed it, but do you have a part number or link or something to help source that?

Most of the OEM toolboxes on the tractors I’ve operated (Ford, IH, Long, M-F) have been crappy afterthoughts. That little plastic one on my L is no exception. Looks like whoever designed your new one spent some time on a small tractor and actually put a little thought into to it.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I might have missed it, but do you have a part number or link or something to help source that?

Most of the OEM toolboxes on the tractors I’ve operated (Ford, IH, Long, M-F) have been crappy afterthoughts. That little plastic one on my L is no exception. Looks like whoever designed your new one spent some time on a small tractor and actually put a little thought into to it.
I did basically the same thing on my MX. I used an old craftsman toolbox that I’ve had for 40 years. It’s basically the same box, but without the Deere sticker. Mine is now painted Kubota Grey. Next to it on the crossbar, I mounted a small metal ammo can that serves as a glovebox for small items and extra water bottles.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I like that chain holder idea.

I have a couple of ammo cans welded to my ballast box for chains, but the backhoe is on 95% of the time, so this might be a better solution.

WillyBill

Equipment
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
I did basically the same thing on my MX. I used an old craftsman toolbox that I’ve had for 40 years. It’s basically the same box, but without the Deere sticker. Mine is now painted Kubota Grey. Next to it on the crossbar, I mounted a small metal ammo can that serves as a glovebox for small items and extra water bottles.
I was also trying to figure out a way to use an ammo can or one of those Apache (Pelican knockoff) boxes from HF but kept going back to the JD box because of the size and the ability to pull a pin and remove the box from the mount. The placement works out well because I can reach the box from the seat or from the rear of the tractor to get a pin.

WillyBill

Equipment
Mar 25, 2021
Northwest Tennessee
I like that chain holder idea.

I have a couple of ammo cans welded to my ballast box for chains, but the backhoe is on 95% of the time, so this might be a better solution.
I considered using flattened expanded steel on the bottom but went with a solid plate with notches to let water drain out.

IMG_2236.jpeg

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I got both items at the local JD dealer
AND you gave them your money willingly? I figured you just had it kicking around, mabey got it free off a friend...

BURN THE WITCH! GET THE STAKES! SHARPEN THE GUILLOTINE! PREPARE THE HOT OIL! GRAB YOUR STONES BOYS! WE KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THEIR KIND!

On a side note anyone seen my safety glasses? Just cause we're going mideval on his ass doesn't mean we don't need proper ppe. Safety first.

• Haha

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Add a hook for a bucket, bracket for chainsaw, loops for long handle tools?
IMG_1401.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

One handiest things I added. Work requires tools.

Reactions: 2 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
That is an awesome set up…very functional. I think you could sell / market that!…I have to ask, what’s the tire used for?
120’ of 3/8” cable. Makes it easy to store and carry. Old atv tire with one bead cut out. Few holes in the tread for drainage.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought a combination grill guard and chain bucket from Lown performance. The chain bucket mounts to existing holes in the frame below the grill guard. The bucket holds 20’ of chain with grab hooks.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I considered using flattened expanded steel on the bottom but went with a solid plate with notches to let water drain out.

View attachment 107954
I think the plate is a better idea overall as well.

It will put up with more abuse from heavier objects; (i.e, like dropping a pry-bar in, or something similar. )