M5111 Hydraulic oil temperature

David Wayze

Equipment
M5 Case IH 885 IH574
Sep 1, 2023
UK
Does anyone know the maximum operating temperature for hydraulic oil in an M5111? I have asked my dealer and emailed Kubota UK but no one seems to know. As a bit of background - I was cutting hay this year and the PTO was really hot I checked the tractor with a laser thermometer at 87C (188F). I have 1 month warranty left on the tractor and really want to know if this temp is too high before the warranty period end. Many thanks

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
For what it's worth, my M5660 rear end temperature runs close to 160⁰ F after a day of mowing in the summer.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Does anyone know the maximum operating temperature for hydraulic oil in an M5111? I have asked my dealer and emailed Kubota UK but no one seems to know. As a bit of background - I was cutting hay this year and the PTO was really hot I checked the tractor with a laser thermometer at 87C (188F). I have 1 month warranty left on the tractor and really want to know if this temp is too high before the warranty period end. Many thanks
General rule of thumb is for optimal efficiency sump temperature in a pure hydraulic system should be no more than 80C. That's ideal and not cast in concrete and does not mean it cannot go higher at times.

For a transmission that number is more ike 100C. So you are hot but not crazy high. Gear oils are specified and tested at 100C for a reason.

It also matters where you measured the temperature. A major function of the hydraulic reservoir is to cool the hot return oil. Is your 87C number the sump temp or something else?

Dan

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I wouldn't worry about that temperature, hydraulic systems in a tractor do get hot when working. What was the ambient temperature when you reached this temp?

Modern synthetic fluid and seals will withstand a lot of heat without degradation. For example, Allison allows for converter out temperatures to reach 300f intermittently in their heavy duty automatics.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I recall references here on OTT about operating temps reaching ambient temperature plus 100F.

Don't know validity or precision, or where the temperature would be measured.

As Dan mentions, location of the measurement could be important.

Reactions: 1 users

David Wayze

Equipment
M5 Case IH 885 IH574
Sep 1, 2023
UK
General rule of thumb is for optimal efficiency sump temperature in a pure hydraulic system should be no more than 80C. That's ideal and not cast in concrete and does not mean it cannot go higher at times.

For a transmission that number is more ike 100C. So you are hot but not crazy high. Gear oils are specified and tested at 100C for a reason.

It also matters where you measured the temperature. A major function of the hydraulic reservoir is to cool the hot return oil. Is your 87C number the sump temp or something else?

Dan
Thanks for that I hadn't thought about the location of the reading. My mower requires the pto to be disconnected to put it in the transport position and when I did this it was very hot to hold. I don't remember it being that hot before. The ambient temp was around 25c (77f) - which is hot for here!