m5040 Trans

m5040

Apr 21, 2012
Asheville
I have a 2007 M5040 with 215 hours could anyone give me any ideas why the tractor seams to slip in reverse. Maybe like it is kicking out of reverse / slipping but not spinning. Typically this happens when I am backing up a hill.

Thanks

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Which transmission does it have? I believe those came with either partially synchronized manuals or a shuttle transmissions. Describe what it's doing with a little more detail.

m5040

Apr 21, 2012
Asheville
It has the 4 gears with the forward and reverse level on the stearing wheel.......I just tried it again and it feels like the clutch is slipping but only in reverse.

Could this be a result of a setting, fluid is good but when you put a load on it in reverse it acts like it is slipping....????:confused:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ok you have the shuttle transmission. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the guts of those those to be of any help though I'll say it doesn't sound like a setting problem. It sounds like a problem problem.

You'll have to wait for someone who's dealt with these to chime in and in the mean time I'd search the forums for information on that thing and problems other people have had with them.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
First thing I would check is the linkage, is it pulling all the way into reverse ?

E/S