M5040 slow fel hydraulics

cmeeker

Equipment
M5040
Nov 19, 2011
Wichita,kansas
Gentlemen,

I have a 2008 M5040 with a loader and a grapple bucket. Intermittently the hydraulics for the boom and grapple operate very slowly. The curl and dump work at normal speed. Both the grapple and boom speed up to normal if activated while using the curl and dump control. The tractor has approximately 225 hours on it and the fluid and filters were changed at 50 hours. Any suggestions?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Do you have to push in a button on top of they joystick control to work the grapple bucket? It could be a thing that to many hydrulic circuts are being worked at the same time.

cmeeker

Equipment
M5040
Nov 19, 2011
Wichita,kansas
You are correct the grapple is controlled with a pair of buttons on the joy stick. The slow operation of the boom is independent of the use of the grapple.

cmeeker

Equipment
M5040
Nov 19, 2011
Wichita,kansas
I have also wondered about air in the lines. I have fully extended and lowered the boom ten to twelve times and this has had no effect. Is there something I am doing wrong in bleeding air?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Did you do anything to the loader quick connectors lately ?
The other thing I was wondering about is hydro. filter changes ?

E/S

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
I had this problem on my MX5100 yesterday where the loader moved real slow. I figured out if I move my 3pt hitch all the way up it causes some kind of by-pass in the hydraulics affecting the loader lift/lower but not the rollback. I bumped the 3 pt down a tad and all was well. I haven't had a chance to see if there's some type of upper stop that can be adjusted to keep this from happening. Seems there should be.

HP

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I had this problem on my MX5100 yesterday where the loader moved real slow. I figured out if I move my 3pt hitch all the way up it causes some kind of by-pass in the hydraulics affecting the loader lift/lower but not the rollback. I bumped the 3 pt down a tad and all was well. I haven't had a chance to see if there's some type of upper stop that can be adjusted to keep this from happening. Seems there should be.

HP
Hi Herkypilot
Your three point hitch is improperly adjusted in that it is going too far up and causing the hydraulics to go into relief. a simple linkage adjustment will correct it.
Ed

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
Hi Herkypilot
Your three point hitch is improperly adjusted in that it is going too far up and causing the hydraulics to go into relief. a simple linkage adjustment will correct it.
Ed

Thanks Ed. I figured something was mis-adjusted. I only have 3 hours on the tractor. I'll take a look under the side panel next weekend to see what's up. It did effect the FEL in relief mode.

HP

cmeeker

Equipment
M5040
Nov 19, 2011
Wichita,kansas
The loader has recently been removed and reinstalled. I have checked wear and condition of the disconnects and they appear to be in good shape. I have disconnected and reconnected them to no avail. The hydro filters and fluid were changed at 50 hours. I will check the three point tomorrow and let you know.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Gentlemen,

I have a 2008 M5040 with a loader and a grapple bucket. Intermittently the hydraulics for the boom and grapple operate very slowly. The curl and dump work at normal speed. Both the grapple and boom speed up to normal if activated while using the curl and dump control. The tractor has approximately 225 hours on it and the fluid and filters were changed at 50 hours. Any suggestions?
Is this a self leveling setup? It sounds like you are loosing oil to the bucket circuit intermittently.

cmeeker

Equipment
M5040
Nov 19, 2011
Wichita,kansas
Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply, but you were correct that the three point was all the way up. When this was corrected the tractor works as it should. Thank you for the help