M4D-071HDC12

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Anyone here have a M4D-071HDC12? Good, Bad? Any issues? I'm considering buying one, I have done several searches here and can't find much at all. Thanks for any information.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Neal did a nice video comparing the M7060 to the M4D-071.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I have an M4-071HDC12. Note that it is not the D, or Deluxe model. I like it a lot and coming from an MX5400 it is better on most measures for what I need. Here's a few specific things I like about it.
1. The increase in power and weight is meaningful. I have pulled a 4500 lb 12-foot aerator with it and runs well, only bogging in very deep loose soil or when it goes up a hill. Like all Kubotas it could be even heavier, and does better with weight on the back and the tires filled.
2. The cab is great. My MX was open station and brutally hot and dusty in the summer. This one is posh. I don't have an air ride seat, nor do I need one. The stereo is great and the cab is quiet and covers the roar of the engine at high RPM.
3. It drives good on the ranch and down the road. I road it to a gas station in town for fuel and it handles the drive well. On the ranch there are enough gears to make any task a single gear operation.
4. Mine does not have the hydraulic whine that some people complain about.
5. It is agile with tight turn radius and good control when sneaking up on things, like pallets or hooking up a 3pt mower deck.
6, It's easy to grease and maintain - everything is in the open.

There are a few things I don't love about it:
1. Mine is re-genning about every 10-12 hours. Regen intervals seem to be all over the place even within a specific Kubota model, so who knows. I would work at lower RPMs for sound reduction and fuel savings but the particle gauge climbs faster at lower RPM. I regen while working so it's no biggie, it just peeves me to use more fuel at high revs, then burn diesel to re-gen to "save" the environment. Without all the DPF crap, could I just run it at 1500 RPM and get the work done? Probably. I wish it would re-gen every 30 hours, then I wouldn't worry about it as much.
2. Sometimes my hydraulic controls are less than precise. The loader and 3Pt hydraulics can be jerky one day and smooth the next. The 3pt control is more jerky than smooth. I should look at the linkage, but have not got around to it. The rear remote works like a charm.
3. In general, an HST is really easy to use. A clutch and gear is just different. The clutch button is helpful when shifting gears on the fly. It could use a bagger fuel tank.

If I were to do it again, I might consider an M5, but I am very happy with the M4. I think the M4 is less popular because it is very similar to the M7070 but with a bigger cab and bigger price tag. By the way, the Deluxe model has a jump seat, some LED lights in place of halogen, a 4WD switch instead of lever (possibly implicated in the whining problem) and some type of auto braking when in 4WD. I dont miss those details for my usage.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@TomGT350 , you might want to check out Good Works Tractors' YouTube channel. He's not sponsored by Kubota or John Deere but rather buys tractors to demonstrate the implements that he sells. He recently bought an M4-071 and has a number of videos featuring it in use with various implements.

In the spirit of full disclosure I bought a Del Morino flail mower from Courtney at Good Works Tractors.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
@TomGT350 , you might want to check out Good Works Tractors' YouTube channel. He's not sponsored by Kubota or John Deere but rather buys tractors to demonstrate the implements that he sells. He recently bought an M4-071 and has a number of videos featuring it in use with various implements.

In the spirit of full disclosure I bought a Del Morino flail mower from Courtney at Good Works Tractors.

I have watched it several times. He seems genuinely pleased with it. For me, the M4-071 could turn into a potential liability with the noise/over heating. There's a lot that I really like about it, but without a fix in place it could be sitting indefinitely. It's too big of a purchase to not be 100% .

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
I have seen this question a couple of times recently and have asked the following question. Is there a specific reason you want the M4D vs the M7060? They are for all practical purposes the same machine, but the M4D has a couple of "features" the M7060 doesn't. If you require a buddy seat the M7060 isn't offered with one, the M4D has a slightly bigger cab (it's just me, how big do I really need), and it has the shift button on the gear lever. It also has a new transmission. Note I didn't say better. You actually lose a couple of PTO HP and there have been some complaints on the whine related to what many think is some over pressure relief happening when hot.

Regardless, the M7060 can be had for less money with for all intents the exact same (or slightly better) specs AND it has been around a long time and proven. I compared the M7060, M4, and M4D when I ordered my new M7060 in Nov. I didn't need a buddy seat, didn't care about the shift button (I can easily use the clutch), and to be honest, wanted every bit of PTO HP I could get. All for 4-6k less than the comparably optioned M4 or M4D.

Maybe one of those new features is something you really want, but don't overlook the M7060 if you are looking at the M4's.

Reactions: 1 users

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
I have seen this question a couple of times recently and have asked the following question. Is there a specific reason you want the M4D vs the M7060? They are for all practical purposes the same machine, but the M4D has a couple of "features" the M7060 doesn't. If you require a buddy seat the M7060 isn't offered with one, the M4D has a slightly bigger cab (it's just me, how big do I really need), and it has the shift button on the gear lever. It also has a new transmission. Note I didn't say better. You actually lose a couple of PTO HP and there have been some complaints on the whine related to what many think is some over pressure relief happening when hot.

Regardless, the M7060 can be had for less money with for all intents the exact same (or slightly better) specs AND it has been around a long time and proven. I compared the M7060, M4, and M4D when I ordered my new M7060 in Nov. I didn't need a buddy seat, didn't care about the shift button (I can easily use the clutch), and to be honest, wanted every bit of PTO HP I could get. All for 4-6k less than the comparably optioned M4 or M4D.

Maybe one of those new features is something you really want, but don't overlook the M7060 if you are looking at the M4's.
Thanks for the information. I have spoken with 3 dealers and the 7060 did come up in each conversation. They each said that the M4 will eventually be taking the place of the 7060, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. It seems like there is a ton of overlap in the entire Kubota tractor line up.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Did you order the F12/R12 transmission?

I compared the M7060 to the M4 as well, and like you would most likely choose the M7060. The M4 simply doesn't offer enough of a jump over an M7060 to justify the cost ... to me. When I stumbled upon the M6060 that I bought recently it was at too good of a price to pass up. If I were ordering an M I would have ordered an M7060 like you. I like the simplicity of the M6060/M7060. They're kind of modern old school tractors.

Comparing the M7060 to the M6060, it offers better brakes, a bit more horsepower and torque, an F12/R12 option and some nice upgrades that come standard with that transmission. As it is, I got a tractor that will do everything I need it to do and more. The difference between my MX6000 and M6060 is a lot greater than the difference between the M6060 and the M7060.

@TomGT350 , I'm not trying to confuse the issue, just sharing my experience as the owner of an MX6000 and M6060. Even thought the M6060 and M7060 have been around a while, they're still really good tractors with great engines and well worth a look.

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
I got the 12 speed and added the extra creeper gear so a total of 18 speeds. I knew the M4 would eventually replace the M7060, but have zero concerns about parts or service. It has been around so long and so many are out there that I find almost zero chance I will have support issues. I looked at is a positive vs what I saw as the bigger potential for issues in a "new" model.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I got the 12 speed and added the extra creeper gear so a total of 18 speeds. I knew the M4 would eventually replace the M7060, but have zero concerns about parts or service. It has been around so long and so many are out there that I find almost zero chance I will have support issues. I looked at is a positive vs what I saw as the bigger potential for issues in a "new" model.
I posted this page from the M6060/M7060 manual in another thread trying to find out the acceptable use of Creep range.

My M6060 is at the dealer all this week getting some upgrades including Creep range. I drove the tractor almost 3 miles to the dealership last week and got up to 16mph, but in truth I don't see myself using High range much at all on my property. I can't pull the rotary cutter or flail mower at 5mph because my property is too hilly and too bumpy, and I'm not going to be pulling the 10ft dump trailer at speeds in excess of 5mph either. I might occasionally get into H1 and H2 but will be in Low and Creep range for the most part. I think 8 forward gears gives me plenty of options but if the M6060 came with the F12/R12 transmission I wouldn't complain.

I wonder how many of those 18 forward gears you'll be using regularly.
Pages from M6060 Operators's Manual.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
I need the creep gear for things like tilling. I like to move just a bit slower than L1 at 540 pto RPMs. It probably works out for me at 5% Creep gear (but when you need it, you need it), 80% Low, and 15% High. I don't travel roads much, but do use high randomly. I could probably technically get by without creep gear, but for the cost when ordering the new tractor it was a no brainer.
As far as the 12 vs 8 speed, there are many other things you get when moving up to the 12 speed that for me are mandatory. One of the biggest is the larger hydraulic flow and the other is 540e PTO.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I need the creep gear for things like tilling. I like to move just a bit slower than L1 at 540 pto RPMs. It probably works out for me at 5% Creep gear (but when you need it, you need it), 80% Low, and 15% High. I don't travel roads much, but do use high randomly. I could probably technically get by without creep gear, but for the cost when ordering the new tractor it was a no brainer.
As far as the 12 vs 8 speed, there are many other things you get when moving up to the 12 speed that for me are mandatory. One of the biggest is the larger hydraulic flow and the other is 540e PTO.
I'm having 540/540E added this week along with Creep range, a third remote, 3rd function, top-n-tilt, and rear tire ballast as well as having the wheels adjusted to the widest setting. I don't have a need for hydraulic flow greater than that provided by the standard pump but I'm interested to know what you are or will you be using that needs a higher flow rate?

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
I'm down to final decision time. I've spoke to a handful of M4D-071HDC12 owners directly, to 3 different shop foreman (at different dealerships) and they haven't had issues or even heard about them. There's also a lengthy post on FB and nothing reported on there either. Outside of the handful of owners online that have the whine & heat issue it doesn't seem to be wide spread. The tractor is available at what seems like a decent price, factoring in the equine discount, but the implement pricing has gone through the roof, comparing pricing to last August. Decisions, decisions!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm down to final decision time. I've spoke to a handful of M4D-071HDC12 owners directly, to 3 different shop foreman (at different dealerships) and they haven't had issues or even heard about them. There's also a lengthy post on FB and nothing reported on there either. Outside of the handful of owners online that have the whine & heat issue it doesn't seem to be wide spread. The tractor is available at what seems like a decent price, factoring in the equine discount, but the implement pricing has gone through the roof, comparing pricing to last August. Decisions, decisions!
Are you keeping the MX?

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
If it is available, I would buy it. I waited 5 months for mine to come in, but I also had a lot of options. Although those weren’t the reason for the delay. All accessories are put on by the dealer so that in and of itself isn’t the issue. My dealer did tell me though that the parts for my Accessories trickled in as well and all weren’t there until a week ir so before the tractor. Unfortunately my third function valve was defective so waiting on a replacement but they will swap that at the house.

Last edited:

Hozzie

Equipment
M7060 Cab
Nov 21, 2018
Middle TN
I'm having 540/540E added this week along with Creep range, a third remote, 3rd function, top-n-tilt, and rear tire ballast as well as having the wheels adjusted to the widest setting. I don't have a need for hydraulic flow greater than that provided by the standard pump but I'm interested to know what you are or will you be using that needs a higher flow rate?
I want to be able to run things like a hydraulic post hole digger on my loader. I use my grapple and a tree puller quite often as well, the extra flow speeds things up. I basically live by the mantra I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I want to be able to run things like a hydraulic post hole digger on my loader. I use my grapple and a tree puller quite often as well, the extra flow speeds things up. I basically live by the mantra I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Oh, I'm with you there. I was just curious if you were running something already that required higher flow rate than the standard 11 gpm.

I have an HD25 post hole digger that's ideally sized for either the MX (9.5 gpm) or M (11 gpm) requiring only 5-12 gpm.

TomGT350

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC
Aug 20, 2021
Maryland
Are you keeping the MX?
George
I actually already sold my MX6000. The resale market on the east coast is crazy right now. Maybe I should have held onto it........... So you have both, the MX6000 and a M6060. How different is the M6060 from the MX6000? Just sitting in the M4 it seems like another world compared to my MX6000. Much bigger than I thought I would be considering, but its one sweet machine!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have you thought about the M5-091?
George
I actually already sold my MX6000. The resale market on the east coast is crazy right now. Maybe I should have held onto it........... So you have both, the MX6000 and a M6060. How different is the M6060 from the MX6000? Just sitting in the M4 it seems like another world compared to my MX6000. Much bigger than I thought I would be considering, but its one sweet machine!
I remember you asking me about selling your MX but wasn't sure if you had. Yes, I have and am keeping both. They're very different animals and make for a good pair, to me at least given my needs and wants. The M6060 is much bigger than the MX and isn't as easy to use day in and day out given the size and the lack of an HST. If I want to move a pallet on/off a trailer and the MX will lift it I'll use the MX over the M every time. The MX is easier to drive and finesse, plain and simple.

I would choose the M7060 over the M4-071, and the M5-091 over the M7060. That's the logical progression to me. MX6000, M6060/M7060, M5-091. Just my opinion based on features, performance and cost. I think that the M4 is a great tractor but it's too close to the M7060 and more expensive and I'm not sure that the extra cost is worth it.

The cab on the M6060/M7060 is big and roomy, and unless an instructor seat is important I don't see any benefit in paying more for the M4 which gives up some meaningful performance such as hp, both engine and pto.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user