M4950 PTO Help

chasdabigone

Sep 15, 2017
Rockwall
Hey guys, I bought a M4950 at auction the other day. Engine runs great but the PTO won't engage. The pto clutch feels good when I pull it up (increasing tension) and the engage lever seems to work alright. I can also hear something in that PTO box spinning so I think the problem is something to do with the clutch. All of the clutch switch wires have been either cut or are disconnected.

I pull the PTO clutch up, engage the PTO lever, and when I put the clutch lever down it doesn't go.

Any ideas? I'm a tractor newbie so it could be something very simple

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
The PTO is hydraulically controlled. The lever is moving a cable which operates a hydraulic valve. The feel of the lever has nothing to do with it. You just feel a spring stretching. I would start at the valve and go from there. Messicks has the parts breakdowns to give you an idea where to look. Could be something simple as a cable and could be as complicated as splitting the tractor and replacing the clutches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasdabigone

Sep 15, 2017
Rockwall
thanks, i poked around a bit and ordered a service manual just because i'm gonna need it eventually no matter what.

I just want to make sure i'm right in understanding that the PTO clutch switch won't have any bearing on the operation of the PTO - it must be a mechanical or hydraulic problem if it won't engage. Is that right?

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
thanks, i poked around a bit and ordered a service manual just because i'm gonna need it eventually no matter what.

I just want to make sure i'm right in understanding that the PTO clutch switch won't have any bearing on the operation of the PTO - it must be a mechanical or hydraulic problem if it won't engage. Is that right?

Mine is a ROPS and the only electrical part is a switch that is the safety/light switch. Sometimes the switch sticks and the PTO still works but the indicator light and the LCD doesn't switch to PTO rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello. I don't believe your tractor PTO is hydraulic. You have a hand lever much like a parking brake for the PTO clutch correct. You should have an inspection cover that you can look at the two stage clutch and be sure everything is okay there. Does your tractor have a lever at the rear of the tractor for high low for the PTO. Good luck. Lance

chasdabigone

Sep 15, 2017
Rockwall
Hello. I don't believe your tractor PTO is hydraulic. You have a hand lever much like a parking brake for the PTO clutch correct. You should have an inspection cover that you can look at the two stage clutch and be sure everything is okay there. Does your tractor have a lever at the rear of the tractor for high low for the PTO. Good luck. Lance
That's right it is like a parking brake. I think I saw the inspection plate on the side of the clutch housing underneath the lever so i'll have a look.

I don't think there is a lever at the rear.