M4 Work Shop Manual - No Hard Cover?

bc1962

Equipment
M7060HD ROPS / M4-071D / M6800 ROPS / RC2512 / ZD1211
Nov 23, 2015
Walnut Grove, AL
Narrative - I like to work on my own tractors. I recently ordered a new Work Shop Manual (WSM) for our M4-071D. I was excited to get it because all I had ever had before were knock off copies. This one was supposed to come plastic wrapped and I assumed (dangerous) with a nice orange hard cover. It was a little over $170, so nice cover was expected. To my surprise (and my dealers) it was just a box of paper. Yes it has nice foldouts, but no cool notebook like cover. I was very disappointed. My dealer gave me an old cover they had because he knew I was expecting it and he felt bad. Very kind. I guess there's not many folks who order this at my dealership. I had planned to order one for each of our tractors, but now I can't see the advantage vs. the knock off on eBay.

Q - Has anyone seen this before? Can you order the cover separate? Has something changed? Any and all replies appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Narrative - I like to work on my own tractors. I recently ordered a new Work Shop Manual (WSM) for our M4-071D. I was excited to get it because all I had ever had before were knock off copies. This one was supposed to come plastic wrapped and I assumed (dangerous) with a nice orange hard cover. It was a little over $170, so nice cover was expected. To my surprise (and my dealers) it was just a box of paper. Yes it has nice foldouts, but no cool notebook like cover. I was very disappointed. My dealer gave me an old cover they had because he knew I was expecting it and he felt bad. Very kind. I guess there's not many folks who order this at my dealership. I had planned to order one for each of our tractors, but now I can't see the advantage vs. the knock off on eBay.

Q - Has anyone seen this before? Can you order the cover separate? Has something changed? Any and all replies appreciated.
Yea I had the same deal. I wanted a hard copy and ordered one when I bought my MX5400 last year. Tried to get it thrown in with the deal but it was a no go.
Paid about double what you paid. Expected the manual in a nice binder… nope, just came wrapped in plastic wrap.
I new I could get a down load and bring it in to Office Depot and have them print it out but figured why go through the hassle, ended up going to one anyway to buy a binder. Pretty sad really.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Wow, you guys got the royal treatment! My WSM was a thumb drive on a keychain.

• Love

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Prior to purchasing my BX23S this last August, I told the dealer I wanted a factory hard copy of the FSM. Weeks later the manual arrived, a stack of pages wrapped in clear plastic.

Seriously, Kubota?
Not impressed!! 🤬

I bought an orange Binder from Staples.

Last edited:

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Prior to purchasing my BX23S this last August, I told the dealer I wanted a factory hard copy of the FSM. Weeks later the manual arrived, a stack of pages wrapped in clear plastic.

Seriously, Kubota?
Not impressed!! 🤬

I bought an orange Binder from Staples.
John Deere is the same. Repair manuals come in shrink wrap and you buy your own binder(s).

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
John Deere is the same. Repair manuals come in shrink wrap and you buy your own binder(s).
Last I got manuals from Deere (2018), atleast they were bound and/or stapled to resemble a book.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
You used to get chapter dividers like my B2650 had and it was tailored for to your model version (Cab or ROPS). My LX tech manual is definitely a lowest bidder winner.

bc1962

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Walnut Grove, AL
Wow, you guys got the royal treatment! My WSM was a thumb drive on a keychain.
For the money we pay, you should have Binder cover, printed manual, AND a thumb drive for the laptop. I'm going to try and post a picture of the cover my dealer gave me. Very kind ... so why can't I figure out how to order one of those ... brand new?

Attachments

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had the same experience when I ordered and received the hard copy WSM for the MX6000. I didn't order a hard copy WSM for the M6060 and most likely won't. I have the PDF version of that.

I thought about taking the stack of paper to Kinkos or whatever local printing shop I can find, and having them bind it with an orange cover. I might still do that.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
For the money we pay, you should have Binder cover, printed manual, AND a thumb drive for the laptop. I'm going to try and post a picture of the cover my dealer gave me. Very kind ... so why can't I figure out how to order one of those ... brand new?
You got what the order desk and service dept get for their books, expandable. That's what should be available, not necessarily free. At minimum an orange binder should be provided with their SMs.....so all the operators manuals can be added to it. All in one convenient place when the reference material is wanted.

On one plus side, AT LEAST the manuals all appear to come READY to put into a 3-ring binder!

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Man....

I almost ordered one for my tractor. I happened to find it free online and printed it out.
Definitely glad I did now.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Man....

I almost ordered one for my tractor. I happened to find it free online and printed it out.
Definitely glad I did now.
There are differences in clarity (or so I was told) between the free and one from the manufacturer. I've not compared.

JD manuals were/are considerably different from copy and original.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
There are differences in clarity (or so I was told) between the free and one from the manufacturer. I've not compared.

JD manuals were/are considerably different from copy and original.
That's a good point.
I did notice some of the drawings are fuzzy.

I'll file that in the back of my head just in case.

bc1962

Equipment
Nov 23, 2015
Walnut Grove, AL
I had the same experience when I ordered and received the hard copy WSM for the MX6000. I didn't order a hard copy WSM for the M6060 and most likely won't. I have the PDF version of that.

I thought about taking the stack of paper to Kinkos or whatever local printing shop I can find, and having them bind it with an orange cover. I might still do that.

Today I talked to sales at Messick's (what a great group of folks.) I was told the following ...

"Good afternoon. Several years ago, when us dealers ordered service manuals for our shop technicians, Kubota sent them to us in binders. They since stopped this service & we are unable to get them any longer. I’d advise searching eBay for one."

Also, I put my WSM into the binder I was graciously given. NOT A FAN. Its hard to assemble and does not allow you easily flip through pages. My conclusion after this journey will be to purchase heavy duty D-ring binder (orange) for my WSM's and leave it at that. I just wanted to put the lid back on the jar of worms I opened. Good luck and hoped this helps someone.
~ Bill

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Today I talked to sales at Messick's (what a great group of folks.) I was told the following ...

"Good afternoon. Several years ago, when us dealers ordered service manuals for our shop technicians, Kubota sent them to us in binders. They since stopped this service & we are unable to get them any longer. I’d advise searching eBay for one."

Also, I put my WSM into the binder I was graciously given. NOT A FAN. Its hard to assemble and does not allow you easily flip through pages. My conclusion after this journey will be to purchase heavy duty D-ring binder (orange) for my WSM's and leave it at that. I just wanted to put the lid back on the jar of worms I opened. Good luck and hoped this helps someone.
~ Bill
The binder you probably have, is for a Service Manual Rack. The racks are meant to hold the binders in a specific angle. The angle helps keep the specific pages open.

What you could do, lay the binder on a flat surface, then prop the top/back, up. Find the angle which works best while browsing the sections, then make a canted stand with a lip on the bottom for the binder. Then you'll be in good shape for using it.

Thanks for sharing.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Plastic wrapped pages as well, post #5:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The dealerships don't use paper WSMs anymore. They get dirty, torn, misplaced etc. Any change or improvement made to the unit requires a separate manual for the updated information or correction.
If a field service tech took the manual, no one had access until it was brought back.
We all now use the pdf version which is kept current with updates, and the manual is searchable for specifics. I can print a page or two if desired but I have absolutely no desire to go back to those paper copies at all.
We still have 3 large racks of the old paper WSMs from years past taking up space in the shop until they get tossed into the paper recyclable bin.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

~ Bill
Agreed!
Folks at Messick's are the BEST!
Wish more businesses operated at the same customer service level.