M4 071D won't restart when hot

Gui272

Equipment
M4-071D
Dec 14, 2023
Monument, CO
Hello all,

i'm having an issue with my M4. If i run the tractor, get it up to operating temp, then shut it down, it will not start back up. I have to let it site for a good 30 minutes plus at times before it will fire back up. My dealer has look at it multiple times, they came to the house etc and it's still happening. They are helping me and i appreciate it but i need it to work properly.

Anyone out there having this issue or had this issue and it got fixed?

thank you!

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
It may help if you give a bit more info on exactly what it’s doing.” It will not start back up” can be interpreted in different ways. when it fails to start will it do anything, will the starter turn the engine over, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Gui272

Equipment
M4-071D
Dec 14, 2023
Monument, CO
It may help if you give a bit more info on exactly what it’s doing.” It will not start back up” can be interpreted in different ways. when it fails to start will it do anything, will the starter turn the engine over, etc.
It doesn't attempt to start, turn over or anything. Dash lights up, everything electric works, it just won't start up. It takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes for it to stat back up. Once it's running again, it works fine.

mike0000

Equipment
Kubota L3901, RTV900
Sep 15, 2021
Southern Indiana
Probably things already being checked by you and the dealer, I’d start with battery, cables, grounds. I’d check if voltage is going to starter while attempting to start, faulty ignition switch is a possibility. Starter cold also be your problem.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I had a Volvo that did that. Turned out to be a cracked coil (armature or field…don’t recall exactly)…which when heated up…expanded and the continuity in the coil was lost. Cooled back down..continuity restored and things worked again.

I’ve also seen this occur on various solenoids in different equipt than tractors. (Old points-type ignition coils used to be famous for this type failure.)

Your terminology is causing confusion in our attempts to help you. What it appears you are saying is…. the STARTER MOTOR FAILS TO rotate the engine for starting. You are NOT saying the engine fails to start. ??

Gui272

Equipment
M4-071D
Dec 14, 2023
Monument, CO
Probably things already being checked by you and the dealer, I’d start with battery, cables, grounds. I’d check if voltage is going to starter while attempting to start, faulty ignition switch is a possibility. Starter cold also be your problem.

They checked all of that a couple times already.

Gui272

Equipment
M4-071D
Dec 14, 2023
Monument, CO
I had a Volvo that did that. Turned out to be a cracked coil (armature or field…don’t recall exactly)…which when heated up…expanded and the continuity in the coil was lost. Cooled back down..continuity restored and things worked again.

I’ve also seen this occur on various solenoids in different equipt than tractors. (Old points-type ignition coils used to be famous for this type failure.)

Your terminology is causing confusion in our attempts to help you. What it appears you are saying is…. the STARTER MOTOR FAILS TO rotate the engine for starting. You are NOT saying the engine fails to start. ??

#3 I thought was clear. Nothing happens other than the lights work. I can turn the key and it does nothing for 20 to 40 minutes.