M class front axle question

Longmeadow Farm

Nov 25, 2012
Fonda, New York
I'm looking at purchasing a M7060 and even bought an owners manual to familiarize myself with the tractor. The manual suggests two front axle width settings, while some folks at a local dealership suggests that you can reverse the wheels... dish in vs dish out... to obtain four. I showed the manual to the sales person ..which states "don't reverse the dish as it will cause transmission reliability issues". The local Kubota dealer is tracking down the reason for the comment in the owners manual. However, has anyone reversed the front wheels..placing the dish in instead of out. I can see one potential problem, no protection for the drive assembly, which is shrouded in the dish..normally. Massey Ferguson 4600 series has a similar to Kubota front drive system and they seem to permit a dish in arrangement.But then the 4600 series has a more compact design. Thanks

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've always heard not to flip the wheels around on the front of 4wd Kubotas, as it puts more stress on the front axle components. So I've never done it and have found no reason to have a wider wheel space on the front.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have seen several different models with the centers reversed. In every case without exception the front axle was worn slap out and leaked fluid like a screen door in the bottom of a boat. I wouldn't risk it myself.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Reasons given above ^ also in my manual it's listed as a no-no to reverse the "cup" outwards if you have a loader as it increases the loading on the hub dramatically.

Longmeadow Farm

Nov 25, 2012
Fonda, New York
Thanks, yesterday afternoon my Kubota dealer got back to me. Keeping within the design limits you can reverse the front wheel rims if the tractor has no loader. With a loader calls for the standard tread width limits of 54 & 58 inches only. I need 60 inches (inside tire width) the Kubota gets me only 50 inches. My round baler operators suggests 60 inches and with my rather wide rotary raked windrows ..60 inches gives me plenty of room to maneuver ...not stepping on dry clover & alfalfa or pushing the hay into the stubble, resulting in the need to lower my pickup teeth... inviting damage, etc.. No I guess I'll take a pass.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Most of the farmers doing hay around here have multiple tractors and do not have loaders on the ones raking and baling. Most are 2wd also, so they can set the front wheel space as they need.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Most of the farmers doing hay around here have multiple tractors and do not have loaders on the ones raking and baling. Most are 2wd also, so they can set the front wheel space as they need.
Where I live in fire ant,gopher invested land one doesn't want to bale hay with a tractor that has a FEL if it can be avoided.