Lx2610? or something else

DomG

Equipment
LX2610hsd/535FEL/BH77/PFL1242/BB1260 -- Toro Zero Turn
Oct 19, 2023
Alberta Canada
Hello All

Looking for a tractor for my 40 acres in western alberta, canada. Property is 35+ hills and heavily wooded with large pond that splits the property in half (no access to my back 20 unless in winter). the front has 2 small pastures (1.5 Acres). currently a 500 foot driveway and small parking spots and soon to be additional 800 foot driveway to the back building we are converting into a second home. Have a zero turn mower for the lawn as there are many trees with cherry trees and saskatoons.

will be creating trails into the woods, or widing the ones i've done so far with the quad. along with some trenches for new water/power lines to the back building. I have done a ton of tree removal by hand and chainsaw so have plenty of stumps to remove and need to level the ground in a few areas along with filling in some areas. Few hills I would like to cut into to allow better access into our back as well.

I was originally looking at a bx23s with backhoe and once I tried and seen in person clearly felt too small. started look at bigger units from other dealers as well.
Kind of settled on a lx2610 after looking at everything out there but with a new lx2620 coming in spring is it worth to wait until then fore better pricing on the lx2610?

Discussion with neighbors felt I could upgrade to a snowblower down the road so looking at keeping a mid pto at this time. also a backup mower down the road. Currently using my quad with plow and a large assisted moving snowblower

Thanks in advance

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
What elevation is your property at? If it's higher, you may want to consider a LX35/4020. I personally wouldn't recommend a mid mount mower and either a brush cutter or flail mower might be more beneficial if you are not concerned with the freshly mowed look and would be good for your trails.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a LX2610HSD as for me it's the biggest that will work in my woods and does not have DPF.
I have no issues with grinding stumps with the Woodland Mills WG24 stump grinder. If your going to get a cab version it might be a bit low on power for you if you have hills. I have 10 acres that's pretty level. I also use a zero turn to mow as the tractor is too big to get close to the house. I'm in Mid-Michigan so 8-10" of snow is about the biggest storm in these parts I just use a back blade to plow and the bucket to pile the snow out of the way. Most the time I plow driving forward over the snow in 2wd. that works unless it a wet snow more than 5-6" then I have to use 4wd. I have the bigger 15-19.5 R4's loaded with RinGuard.
That said my drive is just over 300' and it's paved. If your going to get the cab version it's worth waiting for the -20 version for the quieter transmission. It's not bad in low of mid but in high even with the rops version the trans is loud on the -10 version.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you're not mowing and not using a front mount snowblower, probably an L is a better buy.

Interested in your pond. Possible to build a causeway part way across, and then a stone bridge in the middle? I've always wanted to build a stone bridge, that'd be awesome.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The LX should work, but I'd go with the LX2620 not the 2610. They've made a noticeable decrease in HST noise. Checkout the YouTube videos on them along with GP Outdoors.

Here's a link to GP Outdoors. He has a LX2610 cab model and uses a lot of implements including a snow plow.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I own an lx2610, and personally I'm note sure its enough machine for your purposes. It can do everything your asking and I'm sure the size is appealing for trails but for stump removal unless your grinding its a long process. Also depending on soil type ground work can be quite a task for it.

Those are actually my primary purposes for owning mine so far. I've used mostly for leveling ground, trenching for cable, and digging up stumps. It can and will do these tasks but its slow work. 35 acres is alot of ground to work, and add in hills you'll definitely be working the hell out of that tractor, not to mention they are a tad tippy on hills. You would definitely want wheel spacers, liquid and physical ballast to be running full buckets on hillsides.

Frankly if it were me I'd consider a used skid steer instead if you can swing it. While I love my kubota and tractors in general the more compact size, stability, and stronger loader would greatly benefit your use vs a tractor.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
If you want to dig up your stumps I’d start with the backhoe and build a tractor from that. The BH92 is the largest tractor BH, you might find Kubota’s backhoe line more fitting. Stronger hydraulics, breakout, and can dig deeper. You can remove the hoe and use 3PH too I believe. Many members here have them and I don’t think a single one of them would get rid of them, except for maybe a mini-x.

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Everyone's use case is different but personally you could not even give me a backhoe. Two main reasons 1). it's a PITA to store and takes up a lot of room unless you want to leave it outside to deteriorate in the weather. 2) You make a much bigger mess digging a stump than you would grinding it. In the 35+ years since I built my home I have had 4 times that I have dug a hole or trenched for a line. Much cheaper and easier to either hire it out or rent a trencher or mini ex.