Loud clunking when engine starts

Christian Babirad

Equipment
Kubota TG1860
Nov 23, 2023
Port Colborne Ontario Canada
We have a Kubota TG1860 diesel tractor that has been in the family since brand new. I recently inherited it without the deck on. When I start the tractor a really loud clunking noise is coming from under the tractor no matter the rpm, and The pto does not work at all. I got my girlfriend to start it while I looked what was happening under the tractor and the u joint infront of the pto box is wobbling everywhere so I got her to turn it off and I felt the u joint/the shaft where it goes into the pto box has about a 1/4” play in it I also noticed the flex coupling is also quite worn out so I’m guessing it is the flex coupling. Does anyone think it could be something else?

Attachments

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
That flex coupling is missing a bolt it looks like. Need a picture of the ujoint.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Now you know why, you inherited it. 🫤

It will likely need some maintenance.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
On your last pictures, is the 1/4” play in the u joint knuckle? Or in the splined shaft? If the u joint, simply get a new one and change it. If its the splined shaft, theres a bearing out, likely right behind that seal you see around the shaft. You likely will have to disassemble that gearbox to replace it. Unless you can get it out the front somehow.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Diagnosing problems from looking at pictures is somewhat a fool's game but I see metal shavings that likly came from the u-joint spider so my money is on worn out u-joint.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
If you can remove the shaft and start the engine is the noise gone?

Reactions: 1 user

Christian Babirad

Equipment
Kubota TG1860
Nov 23, 2023
On your last pictures, is the 1/4” play in the u joint knuckle? Or in the splined shaft? If the u joint, simply get a new one and change it. If its the splined shaft, theres a bearing out, likely right behind that seal you see around the shaft. You likely will have to disassemble that gearbox to replace it. Unless you can get it out the front somehow.
The 1/4” play is in the spindle shaft. I removed the whole gear case to better access it and the shaft on the gear case that the drive shaft connects to has a 1/4” play side to side

Christian Babirad

Equipment
Kubota TG1860
Nov 23, 2023
Diagnosing problems from looking at pictures is somewhat a fool's game but I see metal shavings that likly came from the u-joint spider so my money is on worn out u-joint.
Yes there was some metal shavings there but the u joint was spinning off center due to the gear box shaft bearing being out so I will probably have to place the u joint too

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I wasnt sure if I can start the engine without the driveshaft connected. I’m completely new to all this so I’m not sure about anything really that’s why I came to here, I just wasn’t sure if I should start the engine without any load on it
You have a very thoughtful approach!👍